darktable for Windows

could you share a raw + xmp file that take so long to export? also more details on your machine would be good. cpu/gpu and so on.

I just tried this briefly and in a VM, but it seem I can confirm that TIFF exports are extra slow.

1 Like

I am a very happy user of Darktable for Windows (Win 7, 24 GB RAM, i7 3770), but I have run into an annoying difference with the Linux version that I use as well.
I have a large collection of DNGā€™s (pre 2013) from my old D80, imported back then into Lightroom. Now, Darktable on Linux has no issue to open them, but on Windows I get frequent skulls and glitched images in my lighttable and am unable to open most of the files because ā€œfailed to read camera white balance information from ā€¦ā€.

Any idea what might be going on? Is this just me? The behavior occurs even with the recent 2.4.0 build.
Hereā€™s a sample picture that does not load, if anyone wants to test: DSC_0143.dng (7.9 MB) (CC0)

Please let me know if I need to supply more information! Many thanks for any replies :slight_smile:

Thanatomanic itā€™s not just the windows build. The same issue here unfortunately in Linux build 2.4.0rc0+6~g7a91f41c6 using your sample image.

Oh, ehm, my Linux version is 2.2.5 and I have no issues there. So, some regression happening?
Iā€™ve just tested and the original 2.3.0 Windows version has the same problem.

I tried on my Windows 10 pro computer, i5/8 gb memory) which is fairly old, I had no delay in converting to tiffs. Seemed to take about 2 seconds no matter how many bits 8-16-32 didnā€™t seem to be a problem. DT was quite rapid in the conversion. My camera is a Canon 7d, so not huge raw files.

@darix Sure, the raw files are fuji RAF which are quite large, I have linked to a google drive folder that has the raw and xmp. My PC details are AMD A6 -5400K APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.60hz, 8gb RAM and is 64 bit windows 10.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IGfFP_eLsjjSid_BXTwmJcteW04dfVal

Cheers Jason

I downloaded your file, did some minor edits, and had no problem saving it as a 16 bit tiff. Took about 3 seconds.

I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve read all your posts, but wondered have you tried a delete, reinstall of DT?

@rd52 I had not completely uninstalled previously. I have just done so and deleted anything I could find Darktable related and reinstalled. The results are the same, I am a bit suspicious of my HDD though, I am going to try the laptop and see how that goes

Edit - tried the laptop with exactly the same results, it also is a HP

Cheers

Jason

@JStain Also jumping in. What about your HDDs are you suspicious about? I suppose you could do install an app that divulges some of the drivesā€™ metadata to see if they have enough wear and tear to warrant replacing. Hard drive failure is not enjoyable!

Itā€™s a known regression in rawspeed that is being worked on: Regression: huffmantable is broken. Ā· Issue #100 Ā· darktable-org/rawspeed Ā· GitHub

Until that is fixed you better stay with 2.2.5. And for the future, donā€™t convert raw files to DNG, that causes problems eventually.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply, good to know itā€™s being worked on! I couldnā€™t find a meaningful issue in the tracker.

And yes, I have seen the error of my ways a few years back and donā€™t convert to DNG any longer.

2 Likes

It might help if you could add such a file to raw.pixls.us with a CC0 license. That way we will know when itā€™s being fixed and if it ever breaks again when running automated tests.

Just some things that are starting to happen a bit, like the system locking up, disk running at 100% for unknown reasons. I did run a disk test utility but it timed out because it was taking so long

While OpenCL speeds up darktable noticeably even on a laptop with only the integrated Intelā€™s GPU, it became unavailable after a Win10 update, that included the graphic driver. Installing the latest driver from Intelā€™s website made it work again. Just in case ā€¦

My integrated Intel HD4600 doesnā€™t get used by dt. It is used by Capture One or DxO Optics Pro. Iā€™m on Win 8.1, with the last version of Intel drivers for that GPU.

On my computer, a W10/ i5/ 64/ 8 GB memory, with a NVidia Geforce 620. When I check the OpenCL option in preferences DT is noticeably slower. Is there any way to speed it up short of a new video card? The NVidia cardā€™s drivers are current. Does anyone have a hint?

Please run the OpenCL test:
"c:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cltest.exe"

And share the output of that.

@sankos: darktable for Windows - #279 by peterbud

Seems the same for me, Dell XPS 15 with integrated Intel HD630 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050. Hereā€™s the output from the cltest:cltest.txt (53.2 KB)

Also, I noticed a bug regarding preview view.
If I watch an image in preview mode (pressing Z) after I have worked on it, the preview got some problems: the image is blurred, or the colors are inaccurate. Otherwise, freshly imported files are visualized in the right way. Any way I can help in that?