darktable for Windows

It might help if you could add such a file to raw.pixls.us with a CC0 license. That way we will know when it’s being fixed and if it ever breaks again when running automated tests.

Just some things that are starting to happen a bit, like the system locking up, disk running at 100% for unknown reasons. I did run a disk test utility but it timed out because it was taking so long

While OpenCL speeds up darktable noticeably even on a laptop with only the integrated Intel’s GPU, it became unavailable after a Win10 update, that included the graphic driver. Installing the latest driver from Intel’s website made it work again. Just in case …

My integrated Intel HD4600 doesn’t get used by dt. It is used by Capture One or DxO Optics Pro. I’m on Win 8.1, with the last version of Intel drivers for that GPU.

On my computer, a W10/ i5/ 64/ 8 GB memory, with a NVidia Geforce 620. When I check the OpenCL option in preferences DT is noticeably slower. Is there any way to speed it up short of a new video card? The NVidia card’s drivers are current. Does anyone have a hint?

Please run the OpenCL test:
"c:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cltest.exe"

And share the output of that.

@sankos: darktable for Windows - #279 by peterbud

Seems the same for me, Dell XPS 15 with integrated Intel HD630 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050. Here’s the output from the cltest:cltest.txt (53.2 KB)

Also, I noticed a bug regarding preview view.
If I watch an image in preview mode (pressing Z) after I have worked on it, the preview got some problems: the image is blurred, or the colors are inaccurate. Otherwise, freshly imported files are visualized in the right way. Any way I can help in that?

here’s the file. Let me know if this helps or is what you wanted. Thanks!
turned on-1.txt (27.2 KB)

Right, Intel HD4600 – insufficient memory problem. I need to think of buying a gfx card. Does it matter to dt if it’s Nvidia or ATI?

Hm, it looks like you disabled the OpenCL in the settings? Can you double-check it?
initial status of opencl enabled flag is OFF.

Yes, OpenCL had a check in it. I ran the test again, this time with DT open and with the OpenCL option selected.DT check.txt (27.2 KB)

Is there a new build for windows around?

2.4 rc0 is the latest and is on the github page.

1 Like

Thank you. I thought houz would update the link in the first post. But maybe not for RCs.

This looks to me pretty OK, it looks like OpenCL is working with dt on your machine

Right, I added the link to the release announcement to the 1st post.

I have the same output, saying at the end that the geforce card is not utilized; in fact, opening the windows task manager it doesn’t show darktable using the GPU, while for example if I open CaptureOne the latter is listed as using it.

I’ll try to clean reinstall nvidia drivers, since just after doing I got a different output from the opencl test, but then it reverted

EDIT: nothing, same output saying that the graphic card is not utilized

I did install the newest Nvidia drivers, did a clean install and there is no improvement. When doing edits without OpenCL used the edits are instant. With it is activated the edits become painfully slow. It is very evident when doing noise reduction at 100% view.
I again ran the OpenCL test again and included it here. I also installed GPU-Z which shows the state of my gpu, I’ve included those results also. You can see by it that OpenCL is active on my computer, but when it is activated in DT it is definitely not an aid to speed. Looking at task mgr. when doing edits, my gpu is using the same amount of resources whether I have OpenCL in DT checked or not.

DT check-2.txt (27.2 KB)

I had the same with a GT640. I think it is all you can get out of it. Playing around with different opencl settings did not changed anything.

Cheap nvidia cards are simple slow. You will experience that especially with profiled denoise with local means or the equalizer.

Here are some benchmarks with newer cards: 20-Way NVIDIA/AMD GPU Darktable OpenCL Photography Performance - Phoronix