Darktable framing with aspect ratio < 1.0

I have a photo that I have cropped with a custom crop ratio that happens to be ever so slightly wider than it is tall (so landscape). I would like to use the framing module to pad this into a portrait-format photo that is 5:4. I can pad it up to square, but can’t figure out any way to get an aspect ratio of below 1. If I right-click and type 0.8, it goes to 1.0. If I right-click and type “5:4” or “4:5” they both turn into 1.25, which is a bit frustrating. Note I tried clicking the circular arrow in the crop module, but this didn’t do anything because I have a custom crop.

Is there any way for me to get a 5:4 framing ratio in my case? Thanks.

Am I missing something here? 5:4 is a standard ratio offered. 1:1 is square and if you want a rectangle you need greater than 1 so 0.8 just won’t work.

Edit: :man_facepalming: Of course, you can also simply change the orientation of the frame…

@Frisco Have you tried this?

grafik

I feel really stupid. Yes, that works. It was on orientation auto, and I guess this was tied to the input image, so kept converting 4:5 to 5:4 to 1.25. When I set it to portrait as you suggest, it swapped things around so 4:5 and 5:4 were still converted to 1.25, but now obviously in portrait mode.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I misunderstood the problem at 5am in the morning. But realizing now what I can do with the framing module when preparing for printing I have included the framing module in my list of modules to work with. It could prove useful.

EDIT: I just explored the watermark module which I have never looked at before and combined with the framing module brings up some nice ways of not only framing an image but also including an artistic caption. I had always done this sort of stuff in GIMP before after editing in DT. This thread has been very helpful to me.