darktable freezing

i was moving darktable’s “detail” slider in “local contrast” tool. then it froze, with the the word “working…” on the picture. since then i’ve tried quitting the app and opening it, i updated and downgraded versions, but it still either freezes when click on a photo to edit it or when i try to adjust the “detail” slider. what do i do?

dt version?
Operating system?
Just on one specific photo or on all?

/Claes

i’ve gone from 2.2.something to 2.4.3 to 2.4.1 to 2.2.0 to 2.3.0
mac os x
every photo i’ve tried

How about trying version 2.4.4 since that is the latest?

still the same

Have you used this tool before successfully? Is it frozen or just slow? Not discounting your experience. We need more info. In any case, it is usually a good idea to use the latest version, so that the bugs you report are relevant.

months ago. frozen.

Could you try with a temporary fresh database, to be sure it is not corrupted? But please do a backup of your darktable configuration folder first. I can look up later which command line switches are required, I am writing from my mobile phone atm. You could also try debug switches ("-d all"?) to better understand the issue.

as in uninstall and then install darktable again? i don’t have it installed at the moment.

Open the terminal and enter /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all then paste the terminal output here.

Hm, still not on my computer …

No, what I mean is that there is a command line switch to chose another configuration directory. That way you can start with a fresh image database without changing your default image database.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that switching between dt versions might have broken your database. Db adaption is only available for upgrades, not for downgrades.

i don’t have darktable installed at the moment. do i install and then do it?

what’s the line?

Yes, please install it.

Last login: Tue Jun 19 18:36:52 on console
landslide:~ DreamDanny$
landslide:~ DreamDanny$ /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all

[memory] at startup
[memory] max address space (vmpeak): unknown
[memory] cur address space (vmsize): 2493136 kB
[memory] max used memory (vmhwm ): unknown
[memory] cur used memory (vmrss ): 10068 kB

(process:5086): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 20:48:15.334: g_object_set: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

(process:5086): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:48:15.846: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback ‘C’ locale.

Is that all of it? What version of MacOS are you using?

here’s picture

. os x el capitan version 10.11.6

I work on Linux, so you have to adapt the following to what works on your OS.

1. Backup your darktable config folder. On linux:

tar -cjvf ~/Desktop/darktable_backup.tbz ~/.config/darktable

2. Copy some images (these that cause problems) to a new folder:

mkdir ~/Desktop/darktable-test
    cp -a /path/to/image ~/Desktop/darktable-test/ # repeat for some other images

Be sure to omit the sidecar “.xmp” files. The folder should just contain several images (in raw format), nothing else.

3. Make a dummy folder for the new, temporary database:

mkdir ~/Desktop/test-database

4. Start darktable with debug flags and empty new database:

darktable -d all --configdir ~/Desktop/test-database

5. In darktable, import the files from the test image directory “~/Desktop/darktable-test/”. Be sure to import only these.

6. Try to reproduce the error and describe it here. Save the debug log from the terminal output to show it here if necessary.

I hope I did not forget anything …

All the steps should be the same for macOS

are these commands to enter in terminal?
also before opening darktable it shows me this

when i open darktable click any of the images, it freezes. sometimes none of them have their thumbnails shown, sometimes some of them do, some of them don’t. 19%20 it’s not specific images that are making the app freeze. do i put every image into the folder, then? or only some of them?