darktable freezing

darktable

(-) #1

i was moving darktable’s “detail” slider in “local contrast” tool. then it froze, with the the word “working…” on the picture. since then i’ve tried quitting the app and opening it, i updated and downgraded versions, but it still either freezes when click on a photo to edit it or when i try to adjust the “detail” slider. what do i do?

dt version?
Operating system?
Just on one specific photo or on all?

/Claes

(-) #3

i’ve gone from 2.2.something to 2.4.3 to 2.4.1 to 2.2.0 to 2.3.0
mac os x
every photo i’ve tried

(Mica) #4

How about trying version 2.4.4 since that is the latest?

(-) #5

still the same

Have you used this tool before successfully? Is it frozen or just slow? Not discounting your experience. We need more info. In any case, it is usually a good idea to use the latest version, so that the bugs you report are relevant.

(-) #7

months ago. frozen.

Could you try with a temporary fresh database, to be sure it is not corrupted? But please do a backup of your darktable configuration folder first. I can look up later which command line switches are required, I am writing from my mobile phone atm. You could also try debug switches ("-d all"?) to better understand the issue.

(-) #9

as in uninstall and then install darktable again? i don’t have it installed at the moment.

(Mica) #10

Open the terminal and enter /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all then paste the terminal output here.

Hm, still not on my computer …

No, what I mean is that there is a command line switch to chose another configuration directory. That way you can start with a fresh image database without changing your default image database.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that switching between dt versions might have broken your database. Db adaption is only available for upgrades, not for downgrades.

(-) #12

i don’t have darktable installed at the moment. do i install and then do it?

(-) #13

what’s the line?

(Mica) #14

Yes, please install it.

(-) #15

Last login: Tue Jun 19 18:36:52 on console
landslide:~ DreamDanny$
landslide:~ DreamDanny$ /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all

[memory] at startup
[memory] max address space (vmpeak): unknown
[memory] cur address space (vmsize): 2493136 kB
[memory] max used memory (vmhwm ): unknown
[memory] cur used memory (vmrss ): 10068 kB

(process:5086): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 20:48:15.334: g_object_set: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

(process:5086): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:48:15.846: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback ‘C’ locale.

(Mica) #16

Is that all of it? What version of MacOS are you using?

(-) #17

here’s picture

. os x el capitan version 10.11.6

I work on Linux, so you have to adapt the following to what works on your OS.

1. Backup your darktable config folder. On linux:

tar -cjvf ~/Desktop/darktable_backup.tbz ~/.config/darktable

2. Copy some images (these that cause problems) to a new folder:

mkdir ~/Desktop/darktable-test
    cp -a /path/to/image ~/Desktop/darktable-test/ # repeat for some other images

Be sure to omit the sidecar “.xmp” files. The folder should just contain several images (in raw format), nothing else.

3. Make a dummy folder for the new, temporary database:

mkdir ~/Desktop/test-database

4. Start darktable with debug flags and empty new database:

darktable -d all --configdir ~/Desktop/test-database

5. In darktable, import the files from the test image directory “~/Desktop/darktable-test/”. Be sure to import only these.

6. Try to reproduce the error and describe it here. Save the debug log from the terminal output to show it here if necessary.

I hope I did not forget anything …

(Mica) #19

All the steps should be the same for macOS

(-) #20

are these commands to enter in terminal?
also before opening darktable it shows me this

when i open darktable click any of the images, it freezes. sometimes none of them have their thumbnails shown, sometimes some of them do, some of them don’t. 19%20 it’s not specific images that are making the app freeze. do i put every image into the folder, then? or only some of them?