Darktable HDR conversion, have a go at it.

That’s a valid point. @ArekHalusko has posted stunning HDR landscapes – sometimes more contrasty/saturated than what I prefer, but always very well done. It all comes down to preferences. Of the more realistic renditions, I think the one from @difrkaguilar is probably closest to what one would have experienced on the spot – the Sun is still up, so the foreground was probably quite well lit. My own version is a lot darker, both the sky and forground – it’s a different mood, perhaps.

2 Likes

Ya I was loosely following the OP’d image as a guide for exposure and overall look… personally in shots like this I often like a black or very dark silhouette of the foreground and then amp up and feature the sky.

1 Like

Not too bad overall but needs more light in the foreground. I think it was around 730-45am so there was quite a bit of light

Almost there I think the frosty grass was lit up a bit more. The sun looks good.

Maybe like this?

3 Likes

ah pretty good, kind of like looking into the sun and seeing a softened landscape look.

Ok so just switched to 4.4.2 and using the Sigmoid module and getting same results as ones posted here VS what the edited sample I posted with way less modules instances. Hmm I have to say its quite the difference. Also DT is much faster too :slight_smile:

Guess gonna go back to chasing the dragon and always update like a few years back.

Ah now I need to go get a 26er of Vodka and stay home and tweak out on re-editing photos lol

2 Likes

Just messing around. I might make it a bit more saturated for social media people lol

1 Like

So, did you open the vodka already? :smiley:
I might have to revisit your photo also… will post results if I do.

1 Like

Still smashing buttons and moving sliders to see what happens will have to get the bottle soon lol

2 Likes

:grin:
I feel like 4.4 is almost perfect for the way I use it now… although I’ll probably change my mind when someone brings in something new!

1 Like

The primaries module and addition to sigmoid offer nice tools to tweak color… you could run a nightly build in parallel to try them… maybe you already do?? I cant recall who sticks to releases and who doesn’t… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Err… yeah I forgot about those new bits… :grin:
I do have a 4.5 build installed but haven’t actually used it much…

Its a great module for skies skin foliage… not something you couldn’t do with the channel mixer but often a simple tweak to the primary hue and or the purity just fixes things like blue lighting and various aspects of the skies or flowers with red/yellow… great for foliage as well I find for me many shots esp the ones on phones but in general the hue of grass and leaves is off and very easy to make pleasing… I think you will find yourself using it…

2 Likes

But it’s very hard to make high frequency nature believable in this format. It takes a wall print to make the details look alive.

Playing with primaries. Not sure I have added much to what has already been done, but managed to waste a lot of time.

darktable-4.5.0+1030
PA260015-hdr_10.dng.xmp (192.1 KB)

2 Likes

Hi, with my edit I aimed for a “softer” and brighter image

darktable 4.5.0+1014~g5f25f79812

PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (34.0 KB)

3 Likes

The frost on the grass looks pretty good in this one. Not bad edit :slight_smile:

1 Like

A little to muted/flat for my linking but the clouds and the exposure above the sun star are pretty well done.

1 Like

This one is my favorite based on the way you managed the sun glare, the sky - and other delicate areas.

2 Likes