Darktable HDR conversion, have a go at it.

Here’s a merged in Darktable 5 shot 2ev dng file. Usually I don’t shoot into the sun when its that much above a horizon and just as its cresting. I had to really cook the image to get it looking ok but doing so made the landscape/leaf/grass detail look like a phone shot lol

Let see what you guys can do in DT or something else.

The first is my conversion the second is the unedited HDR Dng file

PA260015-hdr.dng (61.5 MB)

3 Likes

I can’t do a thing with it. You did a thousand times better than I can.

1 Like

Its just the light star blob is bothering me lol, the Panny M43 lenses don’t have nice sunstars when the sun is too strong.

Here’s the XMP file for the image

PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (27.4 KB)

Nice shot but certainly a challenge :smiley:

Here’s my best shot (for now).
Two instances of tone eq, one for the extreme highlights and one for the rest, an exposure gradient and pretty much standard sigmoid workflow for the rest. (my usual).
PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (16.2 KB)

6 Likes

did you try to tweak it with the rgb primaries… might not be available if you are using a release vs dev branch version…

So many things you could do with that image…very nice… quick pass at it from me

7 Likes

I forgot to say I’m on the current release of DT - 4.4.2 IIRC. (on my phone now)

Great shot and very challenging too! I did spend way too much time on this edit, but then… I did have fun :slight_smile:

PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (23.7 KB)

4 Likes

Yah I had issues with this one, my normal module selection and exposure settings didn’t quite work with out getting dirty and smudging some of the details especially in the leaves. Guess will have to look at the xmp files and see what was done on your ends.

I’m on 3.8.1 Linux. I stopped upgrading every new update a few years back when DT started to get more complicated with the modules.

1 Like

Nice.

You have - I think - 7 instances of tone equalizer! I gave up around number four … :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

The art is, to make it believable :innocent:.

PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (20.8 KB)

1 Like

Maybe consider running 4.4.2 in parallel just so you can check out new modules etc… sigmoid is a nice alternative at times now to filmic… and the new primaries module in the master branch is nice…so maybe 4.4.2 or even a nightly build to get that new module…Just run it parallel using the --configdir “path” switch to give you separate config files and turn off writing xmp files so as not to mess up your 3.8 install…

Its fairly straightforward… you could even get DT to run on a usb if you wanted for that purpose… I posted back some time ago the few simple steps to do that…

1 Like

I tried to avoid the ‘HDR look’.

PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (18.7 KB)
(darktable from the master branch)

2 Likes

My version…

1 Like

Edit:
PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (14.1 KB)

2 Likes

Gotcha. I reckon you can still use my xmp, just you’ll need to add contrast in filmic and chroma elsewhere, instead of the ‘one shot wonder’ that is sigmoid,:wink: (not everyone agrees).

Filmic v5 no color preservation… :slight_smile:

Actually just kidding… I try to use neither if possible first…

3 Likes

I only have 3 for some reason history shows as more.

My try using darktable 4.5.0~git1012.734d0427-10783.1

PA260015-hdr.dng.xmp (16.5 KB)

Thanks for share this challenging file.

Greetings from La Habana, Cuba.

2 Likes

Yes, for colorful sunsets, the v5 is a good option :+1:

Ah yeah, that got a bit messy and I didn’t want to invest the time to clean up. Shame on me :slight_smile:
I think I effectively used 2 instances for brightening the dark areas and one for darkening the bright area around the sun. The multiple instances allow for better control of haloing and other artifacts that can really mess up the picture (for example the horizon line with the trees).
On top I added a simple tone curve to add contrast as I wished.

I like that. I opted for the HDR look because the OP seemed to think in that direction. If I had edited for myself, I would probably try to minimize HDR artefacts. I think it’s really exaggerated in @priort edit with the local contrast HDR settings, no offense ment of course!

3 Likes