darktable // how to import when multiple sidecar-files for an image exist

Hello all, thanks for this wonderful software.

I have one issue - please can you recommend how to proceed. When you create duplicates for an image, so can have different versions/interpretations based on the same source raw-file, this results in multiple xmp-files for the same raw-file. This is expected and normal.

Now, when I want to re-import the folder to darktable for some reason (in my case it was a complete reinstall of my computer), darktable only imports one of the sidecar-files. The others are just ignored.

What is the best way to proceed here? I’d like to import all versions of the file of course and not lose anything.

Thanks,
airflow

While investigating this issue, I found this bug describing the problem: https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/12307
It seems it is not acknowledged or being worked on.

I just tried and am having the same issue - darktable ignores the xmp that was created for a duplicate when re-importing. Definitely a bug that needs a fix.

I tried to reproduce that but darktable loaded all versions. Imported a folder with a RAW, made two duplicates with the duplicate manager in darkroom and imported the folder again. all three versions appeared.

When I worked on my slide scans I copied the TIFF and gave it different file names to avoid the overwriting potential. Not elegant, but it worked.

I just tried to apply your workaround with version 3.0.0 of darktable, but it did not work. When I created the duplicate of the image manually, darktable created an exact copy of the first sidecar with all attributes the same, like expected. But after re-importing the folder it didn’t recover the changes of the original sidecar-file, instead both images stayed the same. Trying to load the history stack from the sidecar-file with the corresponding function in the “history stack” menu also didn’t work - which means the original sidecar file is now overwritten.

But even if workaround you are suggesting would work (which it doesn’t), it would still be completely un-intuitive, cumbersome and cannot be seriously considered. You would have to know for which images you have created duplicates and have to re-create them to achieve this.

Thanks for checking. I just tried again -

created a new folder
copied a RAW file into it
Opened in dt and made some edits
made two additional duplicates and edited each differently
Lighttable mode shows 3 images, file manager in Win shows the one RAW and 3 xmp files
Removed the folder - collected images now empty
Shut down and restart dt, import folder…dt shows just the first version - no duplicates shown.

I played around with re-reading xmp at start up but no luck with that either.

Try with a fresh database, I bet you see the problem then

Yes. It is broken. The only “workaround” is to move the extra sidecars away to a separate directory, then create the duplicates manually, then load the extra sidecards manually over the manually created duplicates. This workaround is described in detail in the old bugreport a mentioned above. Cannot be considered a serious workaround, but at least I can recover my work somehow.

While I wanted to create a bug-report on github, I saw that you did that already, thanks. =)

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try both refreshing the database then a full uninstall with Revo and a new install. Still showing only one image, no duplicates, when I import the folder.

Update: Based on comments here, and on Github, I tried with a Linux Mint version and another Win 10 version. The problem seems to be limited only to Windows versions.

Update: fix for the issue just merged into master and 3.0.1

5 Likes

Thanks a lot, I discovered the same issue here today. I had a lot of files in 1 database. When overthinking my workflow I decided the create multiple databases (catalogues if you will, similar to what LR provides). Upon creating new databases an reimporting the images I also noticed that duplicate where missing (multiple xmp are ignored).
Glad it will be fixed