Darktable Lua Script Manager

I installed DT now from the OBS page - without success

Had you installed Gimp via flatpak, or as a native .deb application?

Forgive me, but I was mistaken in that there isn’t an option to set the gimp executable on the gimp lau script.

I’ve tested further on my mint 20.3 system. If gimp is installed as a flatpack, then the darktable lau gimp script doesn’t launch it. If gimp is installed as a native .deb application (via the ubuntu handbook ppa), then gimp lau script “sees” the gimp executable. https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/gimp

Perhaps it’s an issue with flatpaks being “sandboxed”, meaning scripts cannot see them?

Or is it the case that the lau script looks for gimp executable under “gimp”, whereas to launch the flatpak version of gimp it should be launched by the command “flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP”

Gimp is installed via Flatpak, and I think this is part of the problem
My actual problem is still, that do not see the Lua script Manager in DT 3.8.1 - Most probably I am to dumb to install lua 5.4 correctly

…or to dumb to install the lua Script Manager…

…or both…

I never had to install LUA 5.4 manually on my Linux Mint 20.3 machine.
When you launch darktable, you should see on the bottom left of the lighttable, a “script manager” module. Click on it, then you should get an option to install scripts, as well as start / stop them.

I know! - but in my bottom left lighttable there is no “script manager” module.

Check in darktablerc if the key

lua/_scripts_install/dont_show=FALSE

is present. At some point I had the problem that changing the corresponding option in the GUI config didn’t update it.

Edit: maybe also lua/_scripts_install/initialized, which is set to TRUE once installed and running.

1 Like

This is what I see in darktablerc:

Strange… I understand that then it should show :thinking:
Sorry, no more ideas here

This shows that lua is installed and working.

This shows that their is an error in your luarc file.

The solution is to remove or rename ~/.config/darktable/luarc and ~/.config/darktable/lua

The next time you start darktable, it will ask to install the scripts. Tell it to install the scripts and then things should just work.

1 Like

This I tried, but unfortunately darktable does not ask

could you run it from the command line with the -d lua flag and post the output?

This is what I get. I think my problem is, that I do not really know how to make the correct lua directory in the .config/darktable (as there is no lua directory)

you need to remove the .config/darktable/lua directory and remove the .config/darktable/luarc file and let darktable recreate them, instead of you trying to create them.

sorry - I did not express myself correctly: The thing is, I do not have a lua directory in .config/darktable/
I have removed luarc file, but darktable does not ask to install scripts

Finally I solved it by uninstalling darktable and in addition removing all directories and files. The new installation works fine now.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying for a while to get LUA up and running, with no joy. Looking at this thread, I decided to insatll Lua Script Manager, but still no joy. Likely its a simple mistake on my part, hopefully someone can set me right.

Bit of background:

I have been compiling the latest git version of darktable for some years, and I put my executable in /opt/darktable. Also the latest mint release includes a flatpak version.

After following the instructions above, the flatpak version runs the Script Manager correctly, but no matter what I do, my compiled /opt DT does not show Script Manager.

I have tried:

/opt/darktable/bin/darktable --configdir ~/.config/darktable/ -d lua
no errors are shown.

I deleting luarc and lua/ but DT does not ask to install scripts.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong??

Are you using the internal lua or the lua from your system? If its the system lua, it needs to be v5.4.

@Aliks
What does

/opt/darktable/bin/darktable --version

report?