darktable metadata editor

Hi everyone,

I am trying to add long descriptions/notes with the metadata editor, but I am stumbling with 2 problems:

• The editor doesn’t seem to like using the enter key to create new lines (maybe that key is bound to apply the changes or something like that)
  • I can’t seem to be able to write too long descriptions. If I try, the description (or notes) field gets reset to empty when I try to apply the metadata :pensive:

Is there are any reason for the length limit or should I file a bug/request on Github?

Which version are you using?
It seems that recently (last 2 months, so after 3.0 release) there was a bit of work regarding metadata editing (by @phweyland and sams96 I think?) and it fixed quite a bit, but those aren’t yet in released version.

Regarding enter key - you can try using Shift+Enter.

and for long description: how long is long? can you paste example description?

Yes, this is still a limitation. In fact I haven’t found any standard metadata (exiv2) supporting multi line feeds. That means that if we add such a metadata item to dt, it could not be exported (or only the first line (*)).
(*) that may be the way to go.

What do you mean by too long ? I’ve tried with 10.000 characters it still works (enter or apply button)…
If you have more details please share them.

1 Like

Which version are you using?

I am using the latest (up to yesterday) development version.

That means that if we add such a metadata item to dt, it could not be exported (or only the first line ()).
(
) that may be the way to go.

Maybe replacing the line breaks with another character (spaces, tabs, etc) could work.

What do you mean by too long ? I’ve tried with 10.000 characters it still works (enter or apply button)…

Definitely I wasn’t using that many characters. Is there any restriction on which symbols can be used? When I get home, I will share the exact description I was trying to add.

Some weeks ago I tried to paste a text of about 800 characters. First it was shown in the text field, but it disappeared the same way you described. My first assumption was : this text might be too long. But I figured out that the characters " as in “any word” caused this behaviour (not text length). Probably there are more characters which are not accepted.
It would be nice if the user would get a warning when text is added which can not be included.

1 Like

Good point. I’ll look at this.

This is probably a side question, but I don’t want to start a whole new thread on it:

I had read that you can pull XMP tag data from JPEG files but I can’t seem to find a way to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Using DT 3.0 with Windows 10.

Thx

dt, as far as I know, doesn’t offer this.

On linux I use exiv2 tool. Something like exiv2 -PXEI file.jpg.
On windows I used to use exiftool, which provides an equivalent service.

The character " is indeed not allowed currently, this is bit weird I agree.
The good news it should be the only one.

The PR #4383 should fix the character " issue.

1 Like

I think I also had the quote character. Thanks!

The PR #4394 gives the possibility to inserts new lines (ctrl-enter).

1 Like