darktable Printing

I recently made the switch to darktable on a linux machine (coming from a variety of commercial processing software on a Windows 11 machine). I am used to printing to a Canon Pro 100 13x19 borderless (A3+). This is not possible from the darktable module - it can do A3 borderless but nothing larger. Are there additional presets that can be added to darktable that would allow this?

Hey and welcome!

Can you select A3+ to print to in other applications?

Hi & thank you!

I was able to print A3+ borderless from Qimage in Windows - unfortunately it doesn’t have a Linux version. I haven’t tried anything other than darktable since switching to Linux a week ago.

I will look for a Linux app to specifically for printing (if one exists). All my ICC profiles for using MOAB paper with the Canon printer imported into darktable without issue - I really wasn’t expecting an issue with paper size.

I’m trying to determine if you need a more specific print driver, like what comes in gutenprint or turbo print.

I will mess around with things for a couple of days and see if I can come up with a solution. It may end up being a different printer driver or a dedicated print app - I just don’t want to have to install a full blown edit suite to print my photos.

Edit - I just found TurboPrint that appears to do everything I want - but it’s a little pricey ($50). I will have a look for other drivers that may work for me and if that is unsuccessful I will make the purchase.

Here is what I have learned:

Gutenprint is my current default driver but it does not support the Canon Pixma Pro-100

TurboPrint does support the Pro-100 but I would have to buy the Studio version to print more than 15" wide (A3+ is 13x19). That puts the cost up to $80 US which seems pretty expensive.

maintaining printer drivers requires a lot of manual work and a lot of up front technical knowledge. trubo print has been a fixture in linux since I can remember, certainly over 20 years. If you need the features I’d urge you to just pay for it.

Yes I will probably just go ahead and get it. My fear is that the printer is several years old and could only have a few months left. Will have research whether the TurboPrint driver would still work with the Pro-200.

I have a canon printer(pixma pro 200) and what I do is use canon paper and then their android application for printing. It’s a bit limiting as you’re stuck with canon paper, but it works fine and colors are as expected and as I see them on darktable.

Thanks for that info. I will get the TurboPrint driver because I have a fair bit of Moab paper and I do like it. I’m really surprised that Canon hasn’t published any Linux drivers for their Pixma Pro line.

2 Likes

I have a canon G550 and I couldn’t find any linux support on canon’s website. I emailed their support and they sent me a link to a driver, but it looked a messy business for a non-expert so I transfer my finished files to a windows laptop and use the canon software, which has been fine.

Thanks for the info. I do have a Windows laptop but am hoping to switch it over to linux shortly - very much fed up with Microsoft.

Same setup as you, canon pro 100 and dark table on Linux (a story that is now several years in the making, but I did come like you from a more standard Mac+lightroom configuration).

I bought a turbo print license years ago and it still gives me excellent results and very few headaches.

Good to know. I am using the 30 day TurboPrint trial and still have to work out a couple of things but will definitely be buying a license.

1 Like