Darktable processed RAW versus Canon embedded JPG

R6JJ1212.CR3 (28.4 MB)
R6JJ1212.CR3.xmp (14.5 KB)

Copyright licence CC-0

Here is a picture of a White-browed Fantail from a recent trip to Cambodia - this is the embedded JPG generated by Canon. Shot with a Canon R6MkII and lens EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.

I processed the RAW file with DT 4.7 and struggled a bit to get decent detail on the bird. DT thinks the bird is about 20m away, which is close enough for a clear shot at ISO 400. After spending a bit of time with various “sharpening” options I was still unhappy so I compared my work:

to the jpg from the RAW file to see how well Canon did the job. (you need to crop a lot to do the comparison -its not easy to show it in this message)

The Canon jpg image is pretty good! and notice in particular the bird’s eyeball. It seems to me the Canon JPG is pin sharp, compared to my best effort.

So the question is, can anyone get a better image than the Canon embedded JPG?

R6JJ1212_rt_01.jpg.out.pp3 (23.6 KB)

RawTherapee, since I can not, for some reason, open it in darktable (4.7~something, Windows).

It looks good in Canon’s “native” program.

An “improved” version …

R6JJ1212_rt_02.jpg.out.pp3 (23.6 KB)

1 Like

As an alternative…

R6JJ1212.CR3.arp (14.1 KB)

2 Likes

My attempt. These are the same edit; the second one is only cropped. dt 4.6.1

R6JJ1212.CR3.xmp (8.6 KB)

R6JJ1212_01.CR3.xmp (9.1 KB)

1 Like

Sharpened with RL deconvolution in RT
R6JJ1212.jpg.out.pp3 (15.1 KB)

2 Likes

keep in mind that Canon R6mII isn’t supported yet by libraw - so you’re comparing a processing based on full knowledge of the camera capabilities with an improvised software :wink:

Agreed, but does camera support in libraw do more than give DT a good start point for white balance?

R6JJ1212.CR3.xmp (13.0 KB)

1 Like

First edit in dt then processed further in GIMP (mainly GMIC filters Richardson-Lucy and Constrained Sharpen)

R6JJ1212.CR3.xmp (26.8 KB)

3 Likes

My version…

R6JJ1212.CR3.xmp (15.5 KB)
My experience with Canon OOC Jpegs is that they are generally pretty good. However, I would always expect to be able to bring out more detail from the raw using DT than what is found in the JPG. This is my attempt to sharpen the bird, but the crop is massive due to how distant the bird is for its size. That will always give a challenge for sharpness of detail.

I would have been interested in having the OOC JPG file as a comparison for my efforts.

Thanks for the play. Processed on V4.7

I had no problem opening this on Windows latest 4.7 weekly build by Bill Ferguson.

I think the op provided this or at least said the jpg offered was the OOC version…

My Bad. In that case then a number of edits here have exceeded the OOC Jpg for detail. Still the Canons including my G16 and R7 do a reasonable JPG. My Olympus TG6 is so soft it is unbearable.

Terry,
I think the second image in this thread is the embedded jpeg - uncropped.

I extracted this from the raw file with exiftool.

darktable 4.4.1

R6JJ1212.CR3.xmp (18.5 KB)

2 Likes

A crop similar to yours. Darktable development version, but I don’t think I used any module not present in 4.6.1.
R6JJ1212.CR3.xmp (16.9 KB)

3 Likes

Certainly some beautiful sharp images here. It is all about learning the tools in DT that can achieve this. I am still learning and will look at some of the xmp files here because mine is nowhere near as good as all these images.

No, I think that’s only a full size preview image. Would be nice to have the original OOC JPEG which is probably less compressed and has a larger file size.