darktable recent development build Windows 64

I understand there have been quite a few Scene-referred module improvements since 3.4.1.1 and wondered if there was a Windows 10 development build available.
My understanding of Linux is not great, so I would for sure struggle to create a build for myself. Thanks.

Roger

I don’t think anyone in the community is making windows development builds (though I’d be happy to be wrong), but I’d bet in a month or so we’ll have some 3.6 beta builds.

Thanks for the reply. I can wait a month or so.

Don’t be shy…I use method A…works fine for me…I’ll build one for you but give it a try I think you will like the chance to make a new build whenever you want darktable/BUILD.md at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

darktable-3.5.0+1957~g49142c1fd-win64.zip (78.0 MB) This is a generic build…if you do one yourself it can incorporate any performance enhancement available with your specific hardware

Thanks very much Todd,

I will give it a go and let you know how I get on. I appreciate the help!

I use this method, too. Works fine. You should take special care to switch from MSYS2 to MINGW64 as decribed in the text. I stumbled into this pit once.
And always start with a clean build.

Ya even the build script works fine for me so each run is just git pull submodule init and update and the build script…copy and paste the last line of the output of that script and replace install with the word package and boom done…work pretty well…

Thanks very much for the help.
I think I am nearly there, but when I try and build darktable I receive the following error:

bash: cmake: command not found

any thoughts on what I need to do. Thank you.

Roger

Install cmake on your system.

cmake should be installed with MSYS2.

I did install MSYS2 following the instructions in the darktable/build.md instructions, but something must have gone wrong with cmake.
Is there a way to just install cmake without going through the whole process again?
I am out of my depth so please feel free to elaborate with command line instructions. Thank you.

As mentioned earlier, you should switch to the MINGW64 terminal/subsystem when instructed. You might be trying to execute commands in the MSYS2 terminal still, where cmake is not available/installed?

I was doing everything in the MINGW64 terminal. Thanks for replying.

What directory are you launching your commands from. If you typing them then you should be in your build directory but if you are using the script then you would just be in the darktable directory…ie one level above…not sure this is it but just checking

1 Like

Hi I have made a mess. I tried the development version but it quite often hangs when exporting so wanted to go back to 3.4.1.1
I saved all original files from appdata/darktable and put them back where they were, but darktable 3.4.1.1 won’t open. Is there anything else I can do or will I have to start again from scratch? I will still have all the edits in sidecar files just will take a while to reconfigure all the settings.

if you installed the dev version overtop of your 3.4 version you will have to re-install it. Is that what you may have done?? This might also be why you have your issue when exporting. I have not had any problems exporting but there can of course be hardware/software issues for each user unique to them. So again how did you install your dev version??
Windows?? Linux?? Mac???

Did you try to run darktable in debug-mode ?

If not, from the Windows cmd-Prompt run:

darktable -d all

DT will write a log-file “C:\Users\USR_NAME_XXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\darktable-log.txt”

Then inspect the log-file for errors.

Thanks for your help. This was on Windows. I ended up reinstalling and re-importing photos and styles, might not have been the quickest way but it worked…

There are often database updates or new module versions in the dev versions. So there’s no way back. It’s highly recommended to backup stuff …