Darktable shortcuts not working on windows

Hey Beauties
Since the 3.8 release I have trouble getting even the default shortcuts to work on windows on two different systems.

Alt + 1 should be assigned to zoom in, but it just says “Alt + 1” is not assigned. If I go into the shortcut preferences it is assigned. If I try to assign it again, just “1” gets assigned, not the alt key.

If I switch from US to Danish layout in windows, I can suddenly use AltGr + 1 … which results in Alt + 1 being assigned. wut?

On another computer trying to assign Alt + 1 will results in " " (empty) to be assigned. But when I switch to DK layout and press Alt + 1 it will assign 0xffffff

Darktable 3.6 works.
It’s weird that switching keyboard language changes the behavior.

If anyone could try Darktable 3.8 with multiple languges on windows that would be great.
Thank you for your time <3

Edit:
From the logs. When I press Alt + 1 in darkroom:
[dt_shortcut_move] shortcut received: alt+1
When I press the same while trying to assign the shortcut:
[dt_shortcut_move] shortcut received: 1

1 Like

Hmm… This seems rather similar to darktable (Windows 10) has lots its Alt+1, 2, 3 keys--I cannot zoom in (enlarge an area). But, based on what you say, the shortcuts should be working.

Any idea how I can debug tis further?
Or what I can do to give the devs better information?

Seems like something with windows + multi lange + new shortcut code is not working
I reverted back to the old version for now.

works for me on windows 11; switching between US and german keyboard makes no difference

I went back to an older version, but now tried 4.0 again. I can’ only assign shortcuts like ESC or DEL, nothing else.
I took a look at the log again and found hundreds of these:

(darktable.exe:20720): Gdk-WARNING **: 19:14:21.248: Failed to translate keypress (keycode: 67) for group 0 (D0010409) because we could not load the layout.

If I search for that I find an active bug on inkscape Some keyboard shortcuts do not work, while some others do (some users) (#3633) · Issues · Inkscape / inkscape · GitLab

I’m tired boss :weary: Sifting through log, forum and bug tracker. I’m just so god damn tired.

Just like the Inkscape bug adding an international layout fixed it.

I assume it’s upstream but should I open a bug so the darktable team can track it?

I don’t see how this is a darktable issue? Seems like a gtk/windows interaction.

I’m so god damn tired of coming on this site to see if anything fun is going on and finding complaints about a bug no developer knows about because nobody could be bothered to report it on github.

The social contract is that “users” (“people who don’t program”) get a free tool in exchange for praise and bug reports. Or constructive criticism, fine, that’s welcome too. Or useful new ideas.

But I guess moaning is an option too, as long as you do it somewhere no “dev” has to see it. Like here. Good luck with that!

now tried 4.0 again

4.0 or 4.0.1? Did you try master to see if don't map default rating shortcuts to numeric keypad by dterrahe · Pull Request #12351 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub makes a difference?

I assume it’s upstream

Was it reported upstream? Do you have a bug number there?

2 Likes

Yeah, seems so. That’s why I’m asking if you guys think I should still report it to darktable github or nah?

The social contract is that “users” (“people who don’t program”) get a free tool in exchange for praise and bug reports. Or constructive criticism, fine, that’s welcome too. Or useful new ideas.

I did and still do all of that. I also gave money to the project.
And before spamming the bug tracker I asked here and on IRC how I can pinpoint this further to figure out if it is in fact a darktable bug, or maybe just something with my system. Or as it turns out a 3rd party library.

But it’s also a fact that this bug burned me out. I spend hours on this in the span of a year. I did not say it was anybodies fault.

4.0 or 4.0.1? Did you try master

4.0.1 and no, I have not tested master yet. For now I use the “international keyboard” workaround.

Was it reported upstream?

I just checked. And yes. Warning starting GTK3 apps: Could not open registry key 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\D0010413' (#5109) · Issues · GNOME / gtk · GitLab

I will have to read more carefully. I had one or two small issues awhile back when I switched my build setup to use UCT… but after fully updating everything I have not had any issues… I wonder if you just need to update your build environment…if you are building…as I said I am just dashing out the door. I use windows so I will try to read through this later and see if I have the same issue or not and if not maybe just be sure everything is up to date…

You mean you donated to one of the developers? The one who seems to have left? As far as I’m aware, the project itself does not take donations.

That ship sailed; the bug tracker is up to 90% spam. But it is still (very) useful as a repository of information for other people (who may be quietly suffering just like you but not even knowing that you and the infomation here exist). You can still report a bug to the dt github mentioning that you believe this is an upstream bug and referring to the gtk bug number and workaround. And closing that as soon as you have verified it has been fixed. It could save others wasting a chunk of their lives.

I’m sorry you had to struggle with this on your own and that nobody advised you that filing a bug on github (with useful information and phrased in a neutral way) is actually an in kind contribution to the project. It is the right way to improve the chances that somebody with access to a debugger and some knowledge of the dt internals has a look. A bug report is not a complaint; it is a gift of feedback and offer to help with further testing that the developers otherwise would have no access to. Some contributors are developers, some are translators, some are documentation writers and some are testers who file reports of any problems they find.

Please go ahead and file that bug now. Feel free to also refer to the discussion and this advice here.

3 Likes