Darktable sorting images by file extension

I have looked at the manual before posting this question. I have shot images in both Jpeg and RAW. I now want to sort my collection by file extension type so I can select and delete all the Jpeg images efficiently. I do not see a way of doing this through the sort by option. Advice would be appreciated if there is a way to do this. I personally would have thought sorting by file extension would be a good feature to have obvious in the sort by options.

What I’ve done is just type in .jpg into the search box. (I mean the ‘filter by text’ box in the top bar and also in collection filters) This is DT4.0… I’ve forgotten how it worked in 3.8 but there was something similar.
Not sure if this does quite what you want though…

1 Like

Thanks Steven. That worked for me. I am still surprised file extension is not in the drop down options as I would expect to see this selection used by many people. The DAM capabilities of DT have really improved.

Happy to help! I’m always discovering new things - so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a better way to do it :smiley:

You can add a filter in the collection module to show only jpg. RTFM is confusing and makes it sound more difficult than it is. On my phone and don’t remember specifically which filter to add.

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.0/en/module-reference/utility-modules/shared/collection-filters/

Its buried under tag in collections and then Darktable… This is the part of peoples confusion. I think it seems like the new filter widgets replace the old stuff but both are then and not offering the same functions…

Hi Todd. Thanks for the response. This sort of works for me when I realised that I had to first select the collection and then add a new rule. It is sort of 90% of a solution for me. Maybe even 99%. I could still see value in having file extension to determine the order of shown images.

If you set collections to folders select your folder and then use that… it should cover you…

So here

YOu just keep going back and clicking in the folder box and the dropdown will pop up to let you select a new folder. You can just go folder by folder or what ever works… you can save this as a preset and a similar one for NEF or whatever … to invoke it when you need to do a file sort in your folders…

Thanks Todd. I am coming to realise that DT has a lot more to offer in managing the images than I first realised. I initially only cared about the editing side and used LR to organise my images. I am walking away from LR because as new cameras come along my perpetual licence for LR6 is less useful. I am not going to give them a monthly subscription, yet I would have been happy to every few years upgrade my licence. As for editing, DT leaves LR for dead.

DT4
DT4

Ya that was suggested early… I thought this was a better fit at least for me it seems the filters work on the active collection…maybe I am wrong in any case if you do it in collections as I have shown and its set to folder and …lots of and’s …if that is the way you work then you can simply click on the folder box select a new folder and see the jpg for that folder…

I don’t think you can do that in the collection filter its just filtering what you have set as the current selection no?? For sure what you suggest will be quick and all that might be needed in many cases…