darktable support for canon burst mode roll files

Does dt support the Canon burst mode roll file, extracting all the images contained w/in it?

Probably not.

you might check this with the nightly builds - camera support for newer R cameras was updated with recent libraw snapshot …

That’s required, but not sufficient to take care of the burst support. Related issue: Canon CR3 Burst-mode support · Issue #15096 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Thanks for the response - looks like burst support is still lacking (it currently only grabs the 1st image in the file). It must be a difficult topic since it’s been an issue for awhile. I’m guessing that dt would need to extract all the images as separate files so the sidecar xmps could then be generated (vs. a single xmp for the burst file that somehow tracks all the images w/in the file). Looking forward to whenever it might be supported to help streamline the workflow.

Something like that. In any case, a significant impact on the current DAM workflow and I/O functions that needs to be carefully thought out. You (and others) might want to chime in and continue discussing at the GH issue (don’t know why the OP closed it…).

I just re-opened the issue (it sat for awhile and then got automatically closed). Hopefully others from dt will chime in so at least we’ll have a sense of the scope, effort, timeline, etc. It’ll be nice to have the roll file more natively supported someday.

1 Like

You closed it explicitly. The automatic thing was the “no-issue-activity” label after some time warning you it would get actually closed after a year. You didn’t have to close it after that warning. It’s up to you (and other interested parties) to keep it alive/relevant if you care about it :wink:

gotcha. I’ll definitely leave it open if it’s still hanging out there again!