Darktable - tethering - no preview

(Phil Gazzard) #1

Hi - Darktable 2.6.1 recognises my tethered 60d and usually works fine and shows the preview. Occasionally - usually when I really need it like an upcoming photo session with a client - it doesn’t show the preview. It does, however, save the image on the laptop so all is not lost. I am using default settings - nothing has been changed.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong - is there something I’ not doing?
Thanks in advance

Phil Gazzard

0 Likes

(pphoto) #2

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Which operating system do you use?

0 Likes

(Phil Gazzard) #3

Windows 8

0 Likes

(pphoto) #4

Canon offers a tethered shooting tool for Windows with support for the EOS 60D
https://www.tethertools.com/tethering-software/canon-eos-utility/

Can you try out this tool? Just to see if the other tool has problems with preview or not. Then you know if it’s a problem within Darktable or in another part.

Do you have the latest drivers and updats on your system?

0 Likes

Also have you used and installed the appropriate libusb driver as described:

0 Likes

(Phil Gazzard) #6

Thank you everyone for your swift responses. The statement ’ . . . nothing has been changed’ turns out not to be true - I found the session option ‘base directory naming pattern’ had been changed - by me so the program was looking in the wrong place for the preview. I reset the details and now preview works fine.

I do occaisonally have to click away to lightable then back to tethering to refresh the view to show the latest shot - is this normal?

I got darktable to recognise the 60d by using zadig as suggested - the Canon Eos utility doesn’t work with Windows 8 and I tried everything short of upgrading.

Thanks once again
Phil

0 Likes