darktable tethering on Windows and Linux

Hi folks-

I have a studio shoot coming up and want to use the darktable tethering functionality in order to be able to add some important metadata as we shoot. I’ve tested it on my desktop computer running Manjaro Linux and dt 3.6.1 and have got it working.

I’m afraid I’m not so lucky on my laptop computer, which is a Thinkpad P50 set up for dual boot WIn10/Linux MInt.

On the Windows side of things, I can’t get the camera to connect with darktable. It shows up in the Left column, but it refuses to connect and throws up an error message that it’s locked or in use. The camera shows up in the File Explorer window as unmounted, and I’ve tried setting Auto play up to ignore it, as well as turning Autoplay off. No dice. What’s funny is that on Win10, the Olympus Capture program sees the camera and works well. So far, I’ve got a usable solution by running darktable at the same time, and importing the folder Olympus Capture writes to.

On the Linux side of this computer, I can connect to the camera in darktable, but capture seems to be limited to images triggered with the camera shutter release, and transfer is VERY slow, maybe a minute an image. Live view is unusable.

Not sure how to proceed with trouble shooting this, or if I should try a Virtual machine and another distro.

Advice would be appreciated, but no pressure, I do have a working solution.

Thanks

Windows support isn’t good for tethering.

For Linux, make sure you have gphoto2 and libgphoto2. You should be able to use the gphoto CLI to trigger things, as that is what darktable uses.

1 Like

Have a look at faq | darktable

1 Like

And it’s also depend on cameras supported by gphoto2 for tethering, so not all are supported. You will find supported list in following website: http://gphoto.org/

Thanks for the replies. On the Linux side of things, seems like all dependencies are met, and the camera model (EM-1 mk1) is supported. Two computers running Manjaro Linux seem to have partial communications, with the ability to capture an image triggered by software or the camera, and adjust shutter and fstop. Live view is also active, but toggling it off crashes darktable. Also, no ability to select a focus point and focus the camera remotely. The Linux mint install on the Thinkpad is less capable. No live view or software trigger. Seems like the gphoto2 and libgphoto2 software packages are a little older than the Manjaro versions, so that may be part of the problem.

On the Windows side, the existing USB driver seems to be the same as the one shown by Zadig in the examples shown. I show the camera in the lighttable import pane, but get an error message that it is in use or has a lock from some other program. Can’t figure out what that might be. The camera is not mounted as a storage device, and nothing else is running (unless there is something in the background I’m missing.)

So it seems that my solution for now it the combination of the Olympus capture software, which seems to work well except for exposure bracketing, and an import into darktable running concurrently on Windows.

It might be a nice feature for a future version of darktable to be able to watch a designated folder and auto import images as they are loaded into that folder. Until then, the import button will do.

Thanks!

This is already possible via lua.

No kidding? Can you point me toward some documentation of that?

1 Like

Thanks Mica

1 Like