darktable to GIMP and Back-color profiles not right

Hi-

Before I begin with the round trip color issues, I’m noticing that imbedded ICC profiles in TIF images being brought into darktable don’t seem to be picked up. I can toggle it on manually by selecting the option to read the embedded iCC profile in the Input profile module.

Going to GIMP and back I seem to have the same issue, in that darktable is not picking up the proper profile from the file edited in GIMP. Seems like it thinks it’s an sRGB, even though it’s an Adobe RGB. Again, manually changing the profile in the input profile box fixes thing.

I’m not that experienced in GIMP, but it looks like my CM settings are correct, although I don’t see any place to set the profile for the overwrite of the image to darktable, so I’m assuming it’s using whatever came over from darktable.

If anyone can shed light on this subject, I’d appreciate it. It may be a bug in darktable, and I’ll get a report on Git hub if it seem like it’s not an operator error.

Thanks.

Sample image 1

There was a very low-level issue with the way input profiles were handled, that got fixed by @hannoschwalm not long ago in darktable master. The TL; DR was embedded ICC profiles were not used in priority when available and defaulted to whatever unrelated space. It was not directly related with color management, rather with code switches prioritizing a faulty path.

This is all fuzzy in my memory, maybe Jens can confirm or deny.

Looks like the original files embedded profile is not getting picked up automatically, and going out of darktable, changing the profile is not happening

In my case, the original file is tagged Prophoto RGB, I’m exporting as Adobe RGB, importing to GIMP with no conversion, and it’s coming back into darktable with the ProphotoRGB profile.

I’d have expected something like this:
Prophoto>dt>export to Adobe RGB
Import to GIMP as Adobe RGB
Overwrite as Adobe RGB.

Thanks for taking a look, hopefully one of the dev’s can illuminate.

I’m on v3.0.2 by the way.

Indeed this issues has been been fixed in dt master, unfortunately a day or two after 3.02 :frowning:

In short, the embedded color profile was ignored and set to sRGB.

1 Like

Thanks for the definitive answer. Looking forward to the next release. As long as I’m aware of the problem, I’ll work around it. Stay well!