darktable virtual pub hangout session

:thinking: I took it to mean 1800 (6pm) local time in the time zone UTC+2…

1 Like

If x + a = b, then x = b - a, right ?

So if UTC + 2 = 18, then UTC = 18 - 2 = 16.

The general form is <time> <time’s offset from UTC>. “UTC” states offset = 00:00.

Time without a stated offset from UTC is mostly taken to mean local time. “UTC” is one of multiple ways to state zero offset from UTC. Other variants are +0 +00, +00:00 and Z (zulu time, military: zero offset). Read 18:00 +02 as “time is 18:00 with/including a 2hour offset from UTC”.

18:00 +02:00 = 16:00 UTC = 16:00 +0 = 16:00 +00 = 16:00 +00:00 = 16:00 Z.

The offset can be stated indirectly using a geographical reference, as in “Europe/Berlin”. That opens an additional can of worms called Daylight Savings Time or DST. 18:00 Europe/Berlin is ambiguous without the date, you need to know if DST is in effect or not, 18:00 Europe/Berlin can be 18:00 +01 or 18:00 +02 depending on date.

I think Zulu time existed before UTC and referred to time at the zero meridian or possibly to the GMT time zone back in the day. UTC is arguably not a time zone, while GMT is and has the DST problem.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I am deeply involved in processing log data from remote robot devices and I need to keep these things straight :hot_face:

It’s so hard to have fun.

7 Likes

We have all sorts of obsessions here. Good or ill, that is the diversity of our member and readership. :slight_smile::sunny:

2 Likes

I would like to join. But if England beats Germany tonight in the UEFA EURO football tournament, I will have to leave early :wink: to watch the quarter final.

3 Likes

If you want to inflame the rivalry, replace

But if x beats y
with
When x beats y.

:partying_face:  

(Better yet, we could watch together online. It is a virtual pub hangout after all.)

3 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

I guess all you Germans will have the time to come hang out! :wink:

2 Likes

At least the Frenchies will be there…

2 Likes

Aye, would be nice to meet you all virtually! (The football games for Finland are already over :smile: )

High noon in Toronto. :+1:

All that’s missing now is the…missing link. :wink:

:cry:
For the first time in my life, England has eliminated Germany.

However, congratulationsto the Poms for breaking their hoodoo of 55 years!
It is to be hoped it will be another 55 before such a travesty occurs again!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Are you game to try https://hubs.mozilla.com/ ?

1 Like

Is that all by avatars? That’s what it looks like on that page. I was thinking it would be a video chat, but I’m not really up on all of this stuff.

Yes. I’m just afraid that a video chat × n people would be chaotic.

1 Like

Let’s try that : https://hub.link/NWRSaUP (code 645819)

2 Likes

Thanks, the fans turn on for the background animation. :sweat_smile:

this looks krazy. like some 2000’s sim game or whatever. I haven’t played in years…

I’m Swiss I can’t join…