darktable won't open xmp with jpg, overwrites instead

I downloaded the jpg and the xmp file posted by shreedhar in Parametric masks in Darktable - beginners help please!. At first, I opened the file with no problem. Then I moved the folder it was in to a new location. Ever since then, when I attempt to open the file, dt overwrites the xmp and starts fresh. I have downloaded the original jpg and xmp multiple times, to new folders even, and when I open the jpg, the xmp gets overwritten. (note that you have to change the downloaded xmp file name to match the jpg. I do that by making a copy). I downloaded an online backup I had to the original folder before the move, and the first time I opened it, it opened correctly. Ever since then, the xmp gets overwritten. I have downloaded the backup twice to new folders, and it still doesn’t work. Is there someplace that dt keeps xmp files in a cache such that it is reading not the new, downloaded file but an old one?

I have tried opening the jpg by itself and then loading the xmp in lighttable, but I get a message that there was an error. However, there have been one or two times that worked with re-downloaded files, but then it stops working.

I am on a Windows system using darktable-2.6.2-win64. I have reinstalled it also, but nothing changed.