Darktable won't open

Can you make sure the lock files are deleted and reboot your system and try?

I made sure that the lock files were removed (ls command), restarted Linux Mint and made sure again that the lock files were not there - and then double-clicked the darktable icon.
Something new happened:

• the darktable icon appeared for short while in the bottom of the screen and disappeared again
  • nothing more happened - the darktable welcome screen did not appear and the ususal error message did not appear either
  • the ls command shows that the two lock files have been created again

It maybe sounds like your database was corrupted when darktable crashed or quit unexpectedly (hence the lock files still being there).

Can you make a backup of the whole ~/.var/app darktable directory, remove all the files, then try starting darktable again?

Since I didn’t have a chance to really edit any images I don’t have any data to backup.
So I deinstalled Darktable and reinstalled it again. Nothing changed - Darktable wouldn’t start. Same error message.
I have installed Darktable on my Windows laptop and it seems to work perfectly, which surprises me, since Darktable originates from Linux.
As you my see I have given up. I am not a tech savy person and certainly not in Linux. And I guess Sisyphos will get his stone to the top of the mountain before I get Darktable to work in Linux.
Sorry for taking so much of your time without any rewarding result.

I think you must have some sort of corruption in the database(s) or settings files. The reason why things didn’t change when you reinstalled is because all the same settings and databases are still there, since those files are user data, they are not deleted when the application is uninstalled.

If you want to give it one more chance (I understand if you don’t!) then you have to remove the settings files for the darktable flatpak. They’re located in ~/.var/app/org.darktable.Darktable, so you’d need to issue the command rm -rf ~/.var/app/org.darktable.Darktable.

I’m here to help you, no need to apologize.

1 Like

Only two questions, you’re running a 32.Bit system,the Darktable Flatpack is also 32 Bit?
And why don’t use the Version form the repository of your distribution?

1 Like

Linux Mint ships flatpak by default in their software center, so it is likely this was installed “from the distribution.”

1 Like

The remnants of my education forbid me to comment

I don’t understand your comment, sorry.

My opinion on Flatpack is here off topic. But I rather suspect a flaw in the flatpack creation than in darktable.

Sorry to zombie this thread, but I’m in the same situation and was hoping to find an answer. Was this ever resolved?

In my case I had been using Darktable and after a couple of updates it won’t start any more. I get a wait cursor then nothing, no error message.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled Darktable but I get the same result. I assume it because the database/config files are not removed on deinstallation. What files/folders should I delete? I’m not concerned about any photos/edits etc. I don’t have anything I need to keep/preserve in Darktable. I’m a Linux Mint NOOB so explicit commands would be appreciated.

Thanks,

What version of darktable and what kind of package? Deb package, snap package, or flatpak package?

It is whatever is in Synaptics Library, I think it is version 2.6.2. Not sure about snap or flatpack.

Thanks,

Provided your config and database is in ~/.config/darktable do the following in an xTerm

cd ~/.config
mv darktable darktable.bak
darktable

I confirmed the version number in Software Manager is 2.0.3-1

cd ~/.config
mv darktable darktable.bak
darktable

Got me this:
[defaults] found a 64-bit system with 2023956 kb ram and 2 cores (0 atom based)
[defaults] setting very conservative defaults
… then nothing

I deinstalled darktable and re-did the ‘rm darktable darktable.bak’ and the darktable folder is gone Did the same for entangle (tethering program) just in case it was in conflict

$ darktable
Gives me this:
[init] the database lockfile contains a pid that seems to be alive in your system: 2862
[init] the database is locked, probably another process is already using it trying to open the images in the running instance

Any suggestion on what try next?

Restart, then do this:

cd ~/.config
rm -rf darktable
darktable

I tried that (confirmed directory is gone with ls ) and got:

… then nothing

I opened another term window and ran

pgrep -l darktable

which returns
2481 darktable

So it looks like it is running but no gui

I have since upgraded to 2.4.4 via a ppa, but I’m getting the same results I had with the earlier version.

If I run darktable again I get the error:
the database lockfile contains a pid that seems to be alive in your system: 2481

Which is the pid of the first instance instantiated but running without a giu.

The lock file message means that darktable didn’t exit cleanly. There are files in ~/.config/darktable that are library.db.lock and data.db.lock.

Not sure why darktable isn’t starting.

cd ~/.config
rm -rf darktable 
darktable -d all

That gets me:

an error has occurred while trying to open the database from
/home/jason/.config/darktable/data.db
the database lock file seems to be empty

Thanks for your help on this. Rather frustrating to have it working one day and dead the next…

You need to rm ~/.config/darktable/data.db.lock