Darktable xmp sidecar tags not being read by Digikam

Hello,

I’m noticing that Digikam is not reading my Darktable XMP files (I use them to display star rating and tags).
In Digikam settings->Metadata->Sidecars: “read from sidecar files” is selected. XMP sidecars are located in photo directory and have same name as photo.

Any advice?

Thanks

probably different expected naming of the XMP files. not sure if it can be configured in digikam.

Normally that way works fine for me when importing new images. If I update images in darktable, then “look for new images at startup” in digikam is not working every time, but then I use “reread meta data from images”. However, star rating is exchangeable between DT and DK, but color labels are not.

Interchanging tags and ratings works fine for me (using R&Darktable 4, digiKam 7.7.0). I’m using the following settings:

darktable: preferences for storage / xmp

• “write sidecar file for each image”: on import
  • look for updated xmp files on startup: active

digiKam: settings / configure digiKam / Metadata => tab “Sidecars”

• Read from sidecar files: active
  • Write to sidecar files: active
  • Sidecar file names are compatible with commercial programs: inactive
    This third option might be the “problem”: if activated, digiKam will look for “pictureName.xmp” (e.g. DSC1234.xmp) like PS stores the files. If deactivated, it looks for “pictureName.EXT.xmp” (e.g. DSC1234.NEF.xmp). The latter is what darktable needs.

If you also want to exchange color labels, you need to map between darktable’s colorLabel and digiKam’s pickLabel, e.g. using a LUA script. But that’s another topic :wink:

In digiKam I use “refresh” from the context menu on the Album level. This usually updates any changes that I applied in darktable. If not, I use the same option (reread meta data…" as @Till80 explained.

2 Likes

“Lars Fiedler via discuss.pixls.us” noreply@discuss.pixls.us writes:

Interchanging tags and ratings works fine for me (using R&Darktable 4, digiKam 7.7.0).

Thanks for this response! I ran through your suggestions. I had the same
settings in Darktable, and in digikam I changed

• settings / configure digiKam / Metadata => tab “Sidecars”-> Write to sidecar files

to active from inactive, and refreshed the metadata from the Album
Context menu. I was previously just refreshing the library with:

*Tools->scan for new items

Perhaps Digikam was not reading the metadata until updating from that
menu.

If you also want to exchange color labels, you need to map between darktable’s colorLabel and digiKam’s pickLabel, e.g. using a LUA script. But that’s another topic :wink:

Would you happen to have any such scripts handy? :wink:

Today I had some issues with exchanging tags between darktable and digikam. After some testing, I figured out that digikam prioritizes files names IMG0815.xmp (written earlierr by lightroom) over IMG0815.CR3.xmp. That means, as long the lightroom sidecar file exists, digikam will not refresh metadata after editing the file in darktable.

Is there a way to tell digikam to look for the darktable sidecar file first, i.e. to change the search order?

Maybe delete the Lightroom version (or place them in a zip file).

Sure, that’s probably the easiest solution. Will do that. Any, I am surprised about that priotization.