'Date time' vs 'Capture time'

When I display all of my images and sort them by ‘Capture time’ I find that there a number of pieces that are out of sequence resulting from some external processing.
This problem would not occur if there had been an option to sort by ‘Date time’.
‘Capture time’ appears to be meaningless in that this is not an item shown on the image-information list at all.
Am I missing something.
Manjaro/Arch/XFCE/Daily-GIT.

External processing?? Capture time should be unique to the raw file. What processing?? if they are now tifs or whatever I am not sure what date info transfers in the meta data. Can you elaborate??

Capture-time is not an item that is found on the image-information list … so why is not datetime used instead for the ordering process?
I have a number of tiffs that I would like to maintain in time sequence that cause this question.

I don’t know what darktable uses to populate its metadata, but the EXIF tag where the time of capture is recorded by the camera is DateTimeOriginal (exiftool nomenclature), EXIF tag 0x9003, string value.

I don’t have time to check but for sure I would think DT is looking at the date the photo was taken as best it can determine… If you create a tiff from that raw and are not sure how that is processed then the date might end up being the date you did the export… THis is a raw editor so I would think priority is to handle photo date based on the exif data in the raw file…

EDIT :slight_smile:
For another purpose I just extracted the jpg previews from 4 files … 2 fairly recent fuji, one cr2 and one NEF from a D800… The date taken matched the raw for the fuji but the cr2 and nef previews must be missing this for some reason and so default to 01/01/01 12:00 AM… which might be some missing date default?? no idea . I think your best bet might be to add a prefix to the exports so you can sort them using sequence … export time is also a variable but it might not work if you have saved your tiff files elsewhere??

I believe its just a wording thing and they are actually referring to the same thing… perhaps if this is confusing it should be reconciled…

It is tiff images that are the problem on my system. They all appear with a ‘default’ date/time.
It does seem unusual that the name ‘capture time’ used for the sorting process is not the same as ‘datetime’ that is shown formally in the image-information listing.
Anyway the metadata editor is not allowing for me to add a new field unfortunately (according to the manual)…