Daylight savings icons for awesome photo calendar

Yes. Here’s a bigger picture:

I probably have to find a new design, probably something less modern and with a better visible arrow to be better recognizable at the small font sizes used here. Now that I know the workflow that’s not a big deal anymore.

Thanks for pointing out :slight_smile:. Still work in progress but for the next iteration I will care about this from the beginning. Maybe I do the moon phase symbols by myself as well, then I have only to match 2 font sizes and not 3.

Care to share that tikz code?

I’d also suggest you change your serif to a sans serif font.

It is not necessarily about serif v sans serif but whether or not the type fits the project. (There are other styles as well.)

As for the time symbols, I would differentiate the pair a bit more. Right now, they look almost the same given their size. I suggest that you use existing day planners, carbon or digital, for inspiration. Many of them are done well. Edit: Sorry to mislead you :smile:. That I have seen good examples does not mean they are easy to find :stuck_out_tongue:.

Unfortunately I’ve never seen a time shift symbol in a day planner. Googling for “time shift symbol” brings some inspiration, but none of these seems to suit “works in small sizes” and “fits a serif font” :confused:.

Have to check some old printed planners tomorrow …

Thanks for the hints :slight_smile:.

Edit: Hm, if people would understand “Δt”?

Does “time shift symbol” mean “daylight savings time”?

Yes.

Maybe this is useful for you:
https://openclipart.org/detail/94807/moon-phases-seasons-dst-symbols

@Tobias Wow, these are so cheerful! Maple leaf: is this Canadian?

Thanks for the hint. They look really good, but the time shift symbols are probably a bit too complicated to work in the small font size. However, probably I’ll adopt the seasons symbols for my calendar :grinning:.

I agree that the time shift symbols have too much going on. The seasonal ones remind me of

:roll_eyes::rofl:

I tried to improve the time shift symbol design to much better match the character of the Palatino font and to better work in smaller sizes. And I raised the moon symbols a bit. What do you think? Should I keep the dpts at 3-6-9-12?

@chris @paperdigits I would be happy to provide more feedback but this thread has become a discussion about symbol design. Should we split it?

Yes I will do that shortly.

I agree, please go ahead.

By “shortly” I meant “a week later” :wink:

1 Like

That’s OK, I am working on a full calendar tutorial for almost a week now and am still far from finishing it. So much to do and so little time …

If the calendar is for the new year, you still have plenty of time to finish :wink:. As for the daylight savings icon, I don’t think the new one matches the character of Palatino or the moon symbols. The most apparent difference is the stress (see: Typeface anatomy - Wikipedia). Also, the arrowhead is way too imposing:

1. It doesn’t have room to breathe.
  2. It makes the rest of the clock appear off-kilter.

Just my thoughts. I am not a designer or anything :blush:.

Hm, the arrow is taken from the original font, but I had to shrink the head a bit to have room for the hands. I think it is much better without the scale points. I already prepared something but need time to finish it to show it here.

And there is not much time left if I want to have ~10 different calendars produced as christmas gifts. Photo selection is the most difficult part.

I assumed that you had completed that part :smile:. If someone gave me a unique photo calendar for Christmas, I would be ecstatic!

@chris I was bored the other day and drew a couple of daylight saving and moon icons. Haven’t adapted them to match small font sizes or your typeface choices.

Both licensed under Creative Commons Licence by @afre

1 Like