Daylight savings icons for awesome photo calendar

Does “time shift symbol” mean “daylight savings time”?

Yes.

Maybe this is useful for you:
https://openclipart.org/detail/94807/moon-phases-seasons-dst-symbols

@Tobias Wow, these are so cheerful! Maple leaf: is this Canadian?

Thanks for the hint. They look really good, but the time shift symbols are probably a bit too complicated to work in the small font size. However, probably I’ll adopt the seasons symbols for my calendar :grinning:.

I agree that the time shift symbols have too much going on. The seasonal ones remind me of

:roll_eyes::rofl:

I tried to improve the time shift symbol design to much better match the character of the Palatino font and to better work in smaller sizes. And I raised the moon symbols a bit. What do you think? Should I keep the dpts at 3-6-9-12?

@chris @paperdigits I would be happy to provide more feedback but this thread has become a discussion about symbol design. Should we split it?

Yes I will do that shortly.

I agree, please go ahead.

By “shortly” I meant “a week later” :wink:

1 Like

That’s OK, I am working on a full calendar tutorial for almost a week now and am still far from finishing it. So much to do and so little time …

If the calendar is for the new year, you still have plenty of time to finish :wink:. As for the daylight savings icon, I don’t think the new one matches the character of Palatino or the moon symbols. The most apparent difference is the stress (see: Typeface anatomy - Wikipedia). Also, the arrowhead is way too imposing:

1. It doesn’t have room to breathe.
  2. It makes the rest of the clock appear off-kilter.

Just my thoughts. I am not a designer or anything :blush:.

Hm, the arrow is taken from the original font, but I had to shrink the head a bit to have room for the hands. I think it is much better without the scale points. I already prepared something but need time to finish it to show it here.

And there is not much time left if I want to have ~10 different calendars produced as christmas gifts. Photo selection is the most difficult part.

I assumed that you had completed that part :smile:. If someone gave me a unique photo calendar for Christmas, I would be ecstatic!

@chris I was bored the other day and drew a couple of daylight saving and moon icons. Haven’t adapted them to match small font sizes or your typeface choices.

Both licensed under Creative Commons Licence by @afre

1 Like

@afre Sorry, but I ordered the Calendars on Tuesday, so your work may be included next year at the earlyest :wink:. It was just in time for the yearly discount of my supplier. I thought. Just to realise on Wednesday morning that they extended a second time. The extra week could have improved the Calendars even more …

Now I probably have some time to finish my calendar making tutorial for pixls.us. 50 % done already. @patdavid, do we have the possibility to host some video here to embed into a post? I did not require a youtube account so far and hope that it can stay like that.

1 Like

We should be able to host video! Or one of us can upload it to YouTube if you’re not opposed.

Yippieh, the calendars arrived! 7 for the family (2 still missing but here I have a little more time) and one I did for the tutorial (the tutorial is still not finished but I think I can start posting the first part soon). The full stack can be seen in the photograph, with the tutorial “Play Raw” calendar being the visible one :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Update: You can find the first parts of the tutorial here.

1 Like