dcraw not working anymore on win10

Something happened. dcraw (v9.27) hasn’t been working for maybe 6 months on my win10 system. I am pretty sure it used to but it isn’t anymore. Hadn’t put much thought into it every time I try. I just move on. Description:

1. When I do dcraw, I get the normal version and usage notes.
2. When I do dcraw -v -e [file], I don’t get any console or file output.
3. When I do dcraw -v -D -4 -T -c [file] > sample.tif, I get up to Building histograms... on the console and then an empty sample.tif file.


Re-compile, and run it through GDB.
Check for viruses.

I discovered the cause. CMD was using a buggy dcraw from another installation (ImageMagick). Thanks for mentioning GDB. I wouldn’t have thought of using it otherwise.

At one stage, the ImageMagick version of dcraw was tweaked to include multi-threading. This increased performance dramatically. Sadly, at a later stage, this became buggy so it no longer worked.

I think that has been fixed now, and current versions are okay.

Thanks for the info. I don’t know how Environment Variables works in terms of precedence. I see the IM version lower in the list, so I suppose that lower is higher priority… BTW, which dcraw build is good? I guess you would say yours. :stuck_out_tongue:

At the Windows command prompt, type “path”. You get something like this:

PATH=C:\cygwin64\bin;C:\cygwin64\usr\local\bin;F:\pictures\bash; {and so on}

When I ask to run a program or script, Windows looks first in C:\cygwin64\bin. If the program/script exists there, that’s what gets executed. Otherwise, Windows looks in the next directory on the list, and so on.

I have no ImageMagick directory in my path, so can’t accidentally run a program from there.

I suspect the IM binary version of dcraw is now okay. Personally, I build my own, using source from http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/dcraw.c and my own patches; details at my page dcraw and WB.