Debian and RawTherapee

I am using Debian Linux and I can’t seem to get newer versions of Rawtherapee to work nicely.

the default in Debian stable is 4.2-1+deb8u1
the version in testing and unstable is 4.2.1241-2

Issues:
1: I upgraded to testing and 4.2.1241-2 is running slow and the slim interface feature seems to be missing and thus the buttons look odd
2: I tried to upgrade to version rawtherapee-nosse_4.2.514-2_amd64.deb from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rawtherapee/Debian_8.0/ but Debian wouldn’t let me install due to dependencies
3: Now that I upgraded to testing I’m unable to go back to stable and it’s a mess.

Does anybody have any idea how to go about this? Like some of you are bound to be running a later version of RawTherapee on Debian and have it working fine :stuck_out_tongue:

I do apologize for the lack of screenshots or error messages right now, am not at home but can provide if helpful. Thanks ahead of time for any help :slight_smile:

Found this tutorial: https://kbyte.snowpenguin.org/portal/en/rawtherapee-debian/

Will attempt later today and see if it works.

Hi @stefan.chirila

1. 4.2-1+deb8u1 and 4.2.1241-2 means not much to a non-Debian user.
    There are two ways you can explain which version you’re using:
    a. State both the version number (e.g. 4.2.1234) and the branch (master or gtk3). Both must be given, otherwise its meaningless.
    b. State the changeset, e.g. f6a9e13. This form is preferable.
    You will find this information in the AboutThisBuild.txt file shipped with RawTherapee, or in Preferences > About > Version, or in some Debian-specific place.
  2. Follow Debian instructions from http://rawtherapee.com/downloads
  3. If you have a problem with installation in Debian, you can look for help here, but you can also contact the Debian package maintainer, listed in the place point 2 above points to.
  4. “The buttons look odd” is not something I can help you with. Show a screenshot of the problem. How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia
    I should mention that the gtk3 branch supports only Gtk+ 3.16 to 3.18. It will support Gtk+ >=3.20 very soon, but not yet.

You should add the openSUSE build service as a repo to your /etc/apt/sources.list. I’m using it this way on Debian stable and it has worked extremely well for me. Do not just download the .deb file and try to install.

@paperdigits Could you paste your sources.list entry for the openSUSE part ? just to make sure I put it in right

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rawtherapee.list 
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rawtherapee/Debian_8.0/ /

Is what I have. You can follow the instructions on the RT website, as doing it that way will import the apt key as well.

Am trying this today! :smiley: thank you @paperdigits!

Alrighty, so many days later and a complete system upgrade away, I got the new RawTherapee working from the Suse repository and my preset looks completely different :frowning:

Can someone explain why?

Above is before, with the regular Debian stable version and below is with the Suse upgraded version.

Which is the one it should look like? Here’s the PP3 and the RAW file.

The result is as it should be, using that PP3 and the latest nightly build. The difference could be caused by an improvement to the effect of the RGB curves.

My PP3 ND7_1508.jpg.out.pp3 (9.3 KB).

With your PP3 you need to reset a lot in the color tab.

Thanks :slight_smile: yeah that’s most likely what it is. Just sucks that I need to figure out how to convert a lot of presets. Oh well. upgrades :slight_smile:

thank you!

This did not work for me. I managed to install the newer version but it still would crash on opening Fuji X-T2 RAFs

@Olga Have you tried the steps on the Rawpedia page for fixing crashes on startup?

RT does start up nicely, it would even open Fuji X-T1’s RAFs, but for some reason would hate to do the same with the X-T2 ones :frowning:

@Olga There are several good tips on the page I linked; like clearing your cache which may help.

Thank you Mica. I still think if it works fine with one type of files but does not work with another - the cache is not the perpetrator…

@Olga If you’re using the in camera compression, RT should support it in version 5: Fujifilm compressed raw support - X-Pro2 & X-T2 · Issue #3229 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

I especially checked that I don’t use compression because I am aware of the compression problem.