Denoising DNGs Huawei P30 Pro viewed at 100% - hold my hand

Hi Forum, I have a hold my hand question. Has anybody had any success in denoising DNGs from the Huawei P30 Pro main (40 MP) or wide (20 MP) cameras. I would like to try and control the jpeg formation in macro shots (2-4 cm from subject) because the algorithm Huawei uses is a bit much on the colors and the sharpening when viewed at 100%. I have looked in RawPedia and also viewed some extremely good videos on youtube. But never the less - the end result is poor. Either noise is too much, or sharpness is off producing even stranger results than Huaweis algorithm. Now there is definitely a big responsibility for the abysmal results laying here with myself as RT is so advanced (and I am new to it) but I am also wondering if perhaps I am chasing rainbows (could also be shadows).
So hold my hand please if someone can - or should I just let Huaweis sensor stay in the to hard basket and stick to using RT with my Nikon (where I think I am doing OK actually). Replies on another topic about DNGs from me sort of implied that but I am (was) stubborn. Kind regards Mint

I got pretty decent results using Lightroom with DNGs from my P30 Pro. Getting the P40 Pro made me switch to RT. If it is possible in Lightroom, it should be possible in RT. Do you have sample DNGs?

And a small tip, for static scenes you probably want to make sure the shutter is as slow as possible to get a low ISO so you get less noise to begin with. The phone’s auto mode does not prioritize low ISO. As slow as 1/10 s for the main camera should not be an issue. The UWA cam does not have OIS, so you probably want to go quicker there (same for the telephoto cam), say 1/50 s or faster.

The UWA cam unfortunotaly is a bit noisy on the P30 Pro. But at least the chroma noise should be easy to get rid of.

Hi Thank you for your reply. Good to hear from a fellow huawei mobilephone picture taking owner who will take me by the hand. I would really like if you had time to look at 2 DNGs from the P30 Pro. One is from the main at max. so 40 MP and the other is from wide (20 MP). I have included the jpegs Huawei makes too. They look fabulous magnificent and great for every day casual use - but (without being a pixel peeker) at 100% (1:1) they look a bit overdone or down right weird. The colors are also off as in not neutral but rather too delicious looking. They are shot in auto Pro mode in high diffuse light at automatic 50 ISO and automatic shutters speed (fast) and AF-C. They also highlight a 3rd issue (on top of noise and color) which is focus. The main camera just doesn’t get it right close up while the wide is much better at it.
A side question how come getting the P40 Pro prompted you to change from lightroom to RT (or did I misunderstand). Kind regards Mint IMG_20200628_171212.dng (76.2 MB)

IMG_20200628_171226.dng (37.5 MB)

Not sure what sure what you are looking at here. Both DNGs look really nice already and the chroma noise is basically gone with auto settings. Luma noise can be reduced using the slider and no need to touch the curve. Default capture sharpening seems to work well, too.

The JPEG of the UWA shot looks kind of bad compared to the RAW. Noise suppression and sharpening are too strong. main camera OOC JPEG has a bit more chroma noise than necessary, but the rest looks good.

Here is a 20 MP JPEG from the main camera shot with very basic noise processing and sharpening:

Do you see anything wrong with it?

Lightroom is not compatible with the RYYB photos of the P40 Pro, plus RT is much better at defringing and the P40 Pro main camera unfortunately has a lot of fringing.

Hi
Thank you and - Yes - your Jpeg does look very nice. I tried to mimic your result from your description - default settings really, even Noise

LoadingDNG_Info IMG_20200628_171212.dng.pp3 (12.9 KB) auto exposure. FF and Lens profile I always do. No extra sharpening, default denoise, conservative with some luminance slider and detail recovery. Exported at 90% with scale 0.71. First thing I notice is the colour range. Mine is dark and flat plus at 100% mine still has much more noise than yours - does that mean that I have been too kind on the luminance slider?
In testing and trying things it doesn’t help that FF doesn’t work in the stable 5.8 for me but only in a dev version 2178 which must have a memory usage issue because it completely takes over the PC (Linux) and I need to end process to get my PC back after a jpeg export. I think I will have to wait for another stable version.
Thank you again for looking this detailed into my noise thing.
Kind regards Mint

The settings I used for the JPG are pretty simple:
Auto capture sharpening, auto chroma noise removel, 20 luma noise removal on the slider with 0 detail recovery and then capture sharpening set to 65, rather than 100. I have played around some more with it since and closed RT, so I cannot just share the PP3 with the exposure settings. I used the tone curve a little for exposure (standard, film like), but had not really paid attention to it.

One important thing to note is that I used a camera profile correcting for the RYYB sensor, so colors are a bit different due to that.

Thank you for that. I will try your settings - it sounds so simple so even I should be able to get there. I have just downloaded a new dev version 2268 and it looks like the memory thing has been dealt with. On a quick look it no longer hoards RAM :). The colour profile you mentioned which corrects for the RYYB is that a standard one which i can find as well or have you made it yourself with a colour checker etc. as described in RawPedia?
Kind regards Mint

I used one provided by a third party, so I will not share it. But you can have one that I made with a color checker for my P40 Pro. I think they are pretty close and if you happen to like it, it would be best to make one for yourself with your own specific phone anyway.
ELS-NX9-HUAWEI-HUAWEI XRITE P40 Pro Main.dcp (26.9 KB)

Hi - I understand.Perhaps one day Huawei will release official dcps. I would like to thank you getting me this far! I have moved a lot and I think the latest RT attempt is better (mine left, yours right). RT is still taking over my PC but I can make it work if I only male one change at a time, save the pp3, make another and so on. When ready I close RT - open the DNG and export without touching anything else. Seems to be the only way RT dev will let go of the RAM. Thank you for sharing the P40 profile - looks like it is a bit involved to make one. I will try it out some more. Kind regards Mint

Making a basic proflie is really easy with the Adobe tool. You open the color checker DNG, move 4 dots and press a button. Shame that the build seems a bit funky in your environment. You could probably learn a lot faster otherwise.

Hi Yes I would (learn a lot) but I can make RT behave - sort of. If I use the DNGs from the main at 40 MP (80 MB) I do need to do all the hula hoops to keep Linux with me. But the wide 20 MP (40 MB) DNGs behaves very well. I can just load the DNGs and a Pp3 no problem. So to make my own profiles I would need to get something like XRITE color checker and then just use RT to make a camera color profile. Is that correct? Kind regards Mint

You buy the physical color checker and then create the profile either with software provided by the manufacturer or with the Adobe DNG Profile Editor. The latter looks much better for me.

Ok thank you