Deserted - the Bombala Literary Institute

What do you make of this one?

Incidentally, does the word liminal mean anything to you? Came across it very recently - hard to define but this shot is…
@paperdigits I feel like you may know? (wild guess)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
IMG_20240224_154309.dng (23.9 MB)
IMG_20240224_154309.dng.xmp (12.8 KB)

5 Likes

Nice shot!

This one processed in ART. The image invited me to work on colors…

IMG_20240224_154309

IMG_20240224_154309.jpg.out.arp (11.5 KB)

1 Like

My versions…

IMG_20240224_154309.dng.xmp (19.1 KB)

IMG_20240224_154309_01.dng.xmp (22.5 KB)

4 Likes

Hello,

Here’s my interpretation, I tried to put some structure in the wall.

IMG_20240224_154309.dng.xmp (15.1 KB)

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

1 Like

Well, ya made me look. I’ve seldom seen a word where different dictionaries take such different slants on the word; once you read a few of them you get a better feel for the word.

1 Like

My fun in GIMP

IIn the simplest terms, liminal means transient both physically or a place we pass during the day and the state we are in, e.g., "I’m in the middle of the day. We sit in the waiting room before a job interview and find ourselves in a transitional state between unemployment and employee of yet another soulless corpo.

Usually liminal space in the viewer (the visitor but sometimes also the viewer of photographs) evokes one of several states:

• A sense of nostalgia - usually with old photos of children’s play places, or in places where we have a false feeling that we associate them
  • A sense of unreality - various repeating elements, strange colors of the place
  • A sense of fear of an empty place (kenopsia) - usually empty partially dark corridors of schools and offices
  • sense of confusion - a less common sensation, usually with architecture with strange geomeria
  • A sense of apprehension - mainly to be observed when taking night shots in an open space where the light cuts strongly from the darkness

Places with potential for liminal space: An empty beach at night, a school in the evening, an office building in the process of being dismantled with incomplete furnishings, abandoned buildings, an empty hospital, closed shopping centers.

2 Likes

IMG_20240224_154309.dng.xmp (13.8 KB)

Thanks for the play, this is a nicely composed picture.
My attempt on this with DT 4.6.

2 Likes

Yes, I do, and I think you’re thinking of liminal spaces, not just the word. Liminal spaces are, more or less, creepy abandoned spaces or spaces that appear transitory. Liminal space (aesthetic) - Wikipedia

This is a nice shot, I like your use of the frame to frame the open door; the peeling pink paint is fantastic, even though you should never paint brick. Nice job!

1 Like

IMG_20240224_154309.dng.xmp (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

My try:

_CTW9753.NEF.xmp (19.1 KB)

3 Likes

I used the new preset local contrast fine (which I prefer to think of as “clarity”) to bring out the details in the picture. I then used a tone down version of bloom preset to soften the image. These presets are in the diffuse or sharpen module in V4.7
IMG_20240224_154309.dng.xmp (22.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, a wide range of interpretations there! I’m short on time this morning so won’t reply to all, but really appreciate your input.

@Zbyma72age and @paperdigits, yes liminal spaces is in fact what I was thinking of… it’s an interesting ‘genre’ for want of a better term.

I very recently joined a group online devoted to it - in the words of someone somewhere,
“it’s a whole ****ing vibe!:smile:

Through the gap in the wall, through the door, into the next room, and heading for the light …

IMG_20240224_154309.dng.xmp
(8.1 KB)

5 Likes

IMG_20240224_154309.dng.arp (12.0 KB)