Desperate nikon nef help required

I’ve never had this problem before. I’m shooting with a nikon d5300 and used a 256g verbatim microsd into adaptor. I have already taken 185 images using this set up and there have been no problems.

Shooting a pre wedding shoot yesterday. I had take the images. Looked at the back of the camera for approval for the obvious lighting, exposure ect and no issues so continued to shoot. After taking 109 shots, we were transitioning to a different location and I noticed when I hit the replay button the picture couldn’t be seen and a message saying along the lines of image error. Not showing my clients any sign of fear I swapped the cards out for the rest of the shoot.

At home I’ve placed the memory card in the computer and all attempts to see the images is at failed attempts. My usual windows viewer has displayed a message saying ‘It appears that we don’t support this file format’ even though it’s a .nef and I can still view all the other. Nef files on the card. I places the card back in the camera and it still allows me to shoot with it and still instantly gives the after shot preview but once you press the replay image it won’t show you the image it’s just shown you the preview of and says file error. Please help. I’m desperate!

@badtoro Welcome to the forum! See: Recovering corrupted .nef files. Don’t take new shots, as this may overwrite those that you are trying to recover.

1 Like

thank you.

it honestly hasn’t made the blind bit of difference, i tried the recover program from the thread but it just said error?? ive even tried viewing the files with different programs too but that didn’t work either

I know that you are in a bind. A general rule of thumb for everything is take a breather. Otherwise, you might make a bad situation worse. I have ruined friendships by making abrupt decisions.

In the case of corrupt files and/or SD card, the first thing to do is buy a new card. Like I said above, don’t continue to use this card. In the other thread, I said don’t even read the card too much. If there is something wrong, using it too much may deteriorate it further.

Backup the card bit-by-bit (exact copy). Use a copy of this backup to test, modify and transfer your files. That way, you are safe to do your exploration and recovery.

If you need more specific help, please share a sample or two of your problem files. Someone here should be able to assist you.

3 Likes

@badtoro upload a sample NEF file using https://filebin.net/

1 Like

https://filebin.net/jwwu3gwozs7z0gbj

thank you to the both of you for your help so far

Advice has been taken and the card is no longer in use. gutted too really as i invested in 256g thinking it would be amazing!

@badtoro the file is a long stream of 1's, there’s nothing you can recover from there, sorry.

1 Like

Would you say the sd card is completely corrupted then? Ive tried looking at it image in the notepad to see the data but it just stopped responding. I invested in the 256g card brand new thinking this was going to be the answer to a lot of prayers regarding storage :-(:sob:

From your description, it looks like the card is dead, yes. At least, I wouldn’t trust it…

1 Like

The bigger the card, the more you have to lose if it goes bad. A 32GB card is already a thousand photos in Raw…

1 Like

The majority of memory cards sold are recycled cards from China. For example they extract them from discarded toys, reprogram the flash memory to make it appear as if the card has a higher capacity than it really does, put it into a new container, and sell it. I found cards like this even from reputable shops in Europe, you just have no way of being certain other than testing it manually.

An example of what happens: they take a 1GB card, make it appear as a 32GB card (Windows will tell you it’s 32GB). When you test it by copying over a document, it appears to work, but that’s only because the document takes less than 1GB. The moment you reach the 1GB mark, it wraps-over and overwrites the previous data. The file structure is intact, so it appears as if you still have all files, but the area where the contents of the files are stored is overwritten.

Testing involves formatting the card, filling it up with data, reading back the data and comparing it byte for byte. There are easily-duckduckgo’able programs to help you with that.

1 Like

:male_detective: So many horror stories circulating the web. Fortunately, I haven’t experienced many duds. :slight_smile:

Neither have I. But I always give the new cards a shake/smoke test at home before taking them out to more “critical” sessions.

What kind of smoking do you do? :meat_on_bone:

Before using the SD Card in a camera, I use the badblocks command to make sure every block on the card is writable. If the card was a knock-off as @Morgan_Hardwood suggested, badblocks would finish way too quickly.

I also have a pretty large folder of assets I can hash and copy to the SD Card, then has the files once they’re on the SD Card.

where would you insert that command? on command prompt or a separate program? regards

At the command prompt. Make sure you specify the right disk, it erases everything