Desqueezing Anamorph Images

Hello Forum,
I am looking for a solution for this problem. I photographed raw 4K images with my Sirui 1x33 50MM Anamorphic Lens. So far so good. Since I need to desqueeze the image I’m trying my hardest to do so in the program, but it doesn’t work. And the lens is not listed in the category of lenses for lens correction option. I don’t need to crop the image, I need to desqueeze it. Just like Premiere Pro which has an option for interpreting footage. I tried different aspect ratios in RawTherapee but it only crops the image. I need to desqueeze the entire image without losing info.

Thanks in advance,

Dawid

Hello @eydok and welcome to the forum! At the moment and to the best of my knowledge, none of the raw processing software can desqueeze anamorphic content. RawTherapee certainly cannot. I assume this is mostly due to the fact that anamorphic images are quite uncommon in photography. Then again, there are options for fish-eye, so anamorphic would not be completely unreasonable to ask :slight_smile:
I am not sure whether a good lens profile would help here…

Welcome to the Forum!

May I ask something potentially stupid? Why is desqueezing after raw development in GIMP, or any other editor, not an option? In a simple world it is a horzontal stretch with a factor of 1.33 to desqueeze.

I would agree that if it’s simple, then what’s stopping people of integrating it into DT, RT and the like…

Is it because you want to judge framing, cropping and so on before raw development? But that is hardly affected by a squeeze of 1.33. It’s not like all heads get squished so much that you can’t make out expressions anymore like potentially with a 2x anamorphic. I genuinely ask because I have no experience with anamorphic outside of cinematography (and there I only know it exists and can be monitored de-squeezed).

Cheers!

Well it’s not really an issue to open the finished photo in GIMP which I now started doing and no it has no effect on how the collor correction is done, wether it’s squeezed or not, everything stays the same. It’s just confusing to why it’s not possible to just simply stretch the image by 1x33. At the end of the day it’s a minor inconvenience and since Roel pointed out that the software doesn’t support it makes me feel less stupid about myself, because I tried desqueezing for almost 2 hours before I gave up :smile:

1 Like

That’s what confused me. The software has a huge list of lenses which it can apply the correction needed. So I assume if the Sirui lenses were on the list, it would automatically desqueeze it But I guess GIMP is the only way to do it atm.

The sirui lens is quite recent. I don’t know if lensfun can handle animorphic correction. Perhaps @junkyardsparkle knows?

I don’t have any experience with actual corrections for anamorphic lenses, but the “de-squeezing” is, AFAIK, just a simple aspect ratio change, which you don’t need lensfun for. I don’t know my way around RawTherapee, but in darktable, for example, you would do this in the perspective correction module, after changing the “lens model” setting to “specific”.

1 Like

After watching a few youtube videos about how to process the anamorphic photos, there is some lens correction needed. one example here Anamorphic Lens For Photography - Digital X-Pan? Sirui 35mm T/2.9 Review / with photos from Tokyo - YouTube. and tbh having this simple resize in DT/RT wouldnt harm either.