Developing old negatives

Hi, bit of an odd request!
I have aquired two Kodak Negative albums containing about a hundred negatives each 6.5 x 11cm. I have no idea of the provenance of these negatives, they were in a lot I bought at auction. The album entries refer to 1930s and 1940s and places such as Ben Nevis, Channel Islands etc. I had a quick look and these look interesting enough to hopefully develop. Now the question is, whats the best way? I have a simple Canon Lide scanner, or I could use a free app to convert my tablet to a softbox and then Rawtherapee or GIMP? I’m open to suggestions!

I won’t often recommend a closed sources application, but VueScan is fantastic and will scan to DNG.

Thanks for that. In the spirit of F/OSS - is there a free open source alternative? Its 80$ for the version I need and I’m not sure these negatives warrant that. I normally use Windows 10 but I also have Ubuntu installed (but I’m not that comfortable with it).
Thanks

I have used GIMP and followed instructions like these https://robertianhawdon.me.uk/2010/07/14/how-to-recover-photos-from-the-negatives-using-gimp/ and achieved good results.

You can speed up this method for a series of negatives by saving the negative color and reloading it each time, instead of rebuilding it for every image.

Rawtherappee’s white balance worked well to better correct the photo color.

1 Like

There is a program called Simple Scan, which will probably do the job, just scan to tiff.