Dew on a tiny rose leaf

This one was taken early in the morning on a cold, partially cloudy day.

I think it’s not the usual kind of image posted here in Play Raw, but maybe you’ll enjoy it.

To me the most important part of the picture are the small water drops, and that’s what I’ve enhanced the most. But as always, you can look at it in a different way…

_DSC0293.NEF (14.1 MB)
_DSC0293.png.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)
RT v.5.8

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

13 Likes

My family thinks I’m nuts when I go around pointing my camera at stuff like this, but I find rich compositions in nature’s patterns. Really nice capture; here’s how I munged it up:

Nice exposure, just a bit of blow in the speculars which I think is quite fine. Did a bit of aggressive departure from the filmic defaults to push the shadows down and get the textures in the leaf edge and water drops to stand out.

But the fun was in the crop. I have a bit of a theme going in my leaf images, a line of some sort weaving its way from left to right. Here, the leaf edge just begged that, so I cropped to give it a nice left-to-right journey, and also to move that hexagonic bokeh-ball out of view.

I tried a grayscale, but it didn’t let the leaf line stand out like the color separation.

7 Likes

What beautiful Play Raw :+1:

This was done with current darktable dev version and the modules filmicRGB, local contrast, color balance, contrast equalizer and 3x exposure with masks for dodge and burn.

_DSC0293.NEF.xmp (11.8 KB)

11 Likes

I had the same idea as you, but I like your version better. I don’t like how busy the oof areas look on the leaf in my edit.

_DSC0293.NEF.xmp (49.8 KB)

2 Likes

_DSC0293.NEF.pp3 (12.8 KB)

1 Like

_DSC0293.NEF.xmp (14.9 KB)

1 Like

Click on it twice.

10 Likes

Oh, I really like that…

Thanks for this great image

_DSC0293.NEF.xmp (19.4 KB, dt3.1)

2 Likes

I love it. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

@XavAL Lovely photo thanks for sharing.

In my take I wanted to emphasize the water but also frame it with the beautiful red razor edge along the leaf. I found the Film Simulation Superia 200 did just that without making the greens really dark.
Added in some other tools I am learning to use and hopefully you like my take. Similar crop to @age I really liked that crop a lot.

RT 5.8

20200417_Balkon_1395.DNG.pp3 (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

I love this picture, Thanks for sharing
My try with DT 3.0.1

_DSC0293.NEF.xmp (7.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks everybody for your edits!

After studying your processings I have learned a few things, so in the end I have improved my skills.

Again. Thanks a lot! :smiley:

Been looking at this one for a while and admiring the edits thus far. Decided to give it a try myself:

dew.on.leave.nikon.d5100.nef.xmp (10.5 KB) darktable 3.0.2

Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Rawtherapee 5.8

_DSC0293.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

1 Like

_DSC0293.NEF.xmp (5.5 KB)

I ended up with a b&w version, started with darktable, which wasn’t all that involved.
in gimp I did a sharpening with gmic texture sharpening and noise reduction with “Iain Denoise 2019 beta3” using 2 layer input
then added local contrast enhancement and simple local contrast, as simple local likes to go a bit crazy I put it as another layer masked with greyscale copy and reduced to around 50% opacity.
to desaturate it I used a white layer in Lch chroma mode
and cropped to 21:9 as at that point I felt it needed to be my wallpaper then.

3 Likes

That is a nice edit! :smiley:

This is how I like b&w images: with pitch black, pure white and lots of intermediate grey tones. Well done!

1 Like

thank you, i was rather pleased it came out that nice.
one thing I find is often when I’m getting a good b&w the edits you do looking at them in color look horrible and this one was approaching that.

1 Like

My quick take in DT + Gimp:

1 Like

_DSC0293.jpg.out.pp3 (13.3 KB)

1 Like