Differences between the inpaint methods

Hello @David_Tschumperle,

I have a height map with data errors and now I’m looking for a method to fix this.

I found several inpainting methods, but what are the differences between them and wich one would you suggest for this problem?
Here is an example image:
dataerror

You can find more information about this files and my and @Jehan experiments here:

and here:
https://girinstud.io/news/2017/12/new-format-in-gimp-hgt/

In case you have relatively smooth images (elevation maps), as well as small holes, I would recommend using the inpaint command with the fast method enabled (=3 probably).
Other inpainting techniques in G’MIC are based on the analysis of image patchs to preserve textures, which seems to be not particularly adequate for this kind of images.

@David_Tschumperle While we are at it: How would you go about replacing the bottom left most couple in [PlayRaw] Eating cicchetti with ghosts in Venezia - #25 by afre? Noticed I gave up and merely painted over them :blush:. Just basic recommendations. Not asking you to do it :wink:.

Thanks, but which one is it in the GIMP plugin?

In your case, considering you are looking for a smooth reconstruction, then filter Repair / Solidify should probably be a good choice.

Masked pixels should be marked as transparent.

Thanks I’ll test it.