Differences in the output sharpness of JPG when processed with DT or LR

Thanks for sharing… I find with this module that sometimes the settings are dictated by the images used to assess them and when applied to another image the results can be way less impressive…

I have a few that I use… Most are on the very strong side so an opacity tweak is needed and if there are artifacts remaining after the overall desired effect is in place then you can tweak the threshold sliders as these really fine tune the output…

I likely use them in a personalized way and often I cycle through 2 or 3 of them on an image to image basis to find the best starting point…

The deblur one was shared previously by another poster but it can be a nice one and the rest are combinations I landed on…They are on the strong side as I think I tweaked many of them while trying to rescue phone images so as I said they might need pulled back and in some cases will for sure amplify noise/grain/artifacts and so will need a tweak to one of the edge threshold sliders…
diffuse_Test Sharpen.dtpreset (1.1 KB)
diffuse_TP_sharpen_details.dtpreset (1.1 KB)
diffuse_module test.dtpreset (1.1 KB)
diffuse_ART-Like-1.dtpreset (1.1 KB)
deblur i20.dtpreset (1.2 KB)
diffuse_1-Subract Watercolor.dtpreset (1.1 KB)

diffuse_Sharpen @ 50%.dtpreset (1.1 KB)
diffuse_Sharpen 1.dtpreset (1.1 KB)

1 Like

That’s the case for almost all sharpening routines used in photo editing, especially those based on unsharp masking. They will also sharpen the noise (of course), making it stand out more.
What I find objectionable in DorS, is the “shape” of the noise after over-sharpening: it gives a kind of cross-hatch pattern.

There are some techniques that can give a small increase in resolution, but they either require mulitple exposures (with a small shift between exposures), and/or a lot of processing time (convolution techniques, those are prone to other artifacts like ringing).

1 Like

In darktable, you can use mask refinement, and one of the parameters is detail level. Make sure you don’t sharpen smooth areas, and you’ll find noise less objectionable.

Aurélien recommended using the 4 orders with the speed switching sign. I think you’ll find this in one of his videos, and in many of the presets.

And, of course, there’s also the contrast EQ module, which has 2 curves, one for sharpening, and another for denoising.

I haven’t checked, but I presume kofa refers to this video:

To be precise it actually has three curves:

• sharpening (called “edges”)
  • chroma noise
  • luma noise

As explained in the video @EspE1 shared, D/S does real sharpening, or at least something close to it.

1 Like