Different colors in editor window and in Windows image viewer

Images look different in editor window than after exporting them to hdd. They seem more greenish.
I suspect there is problem with color profiles, but I don’t know how to set it up properly.

You probably need to add the RT_sRBG profile to windows, this maybe of some help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/widows-photo-viewer-in-windows-8-have-annoying/c59d7fda-508e-4e1e-b8a8-2350a755e2b2?auth=1

You may also want to find a color managed viewing application for windows.

Hello. Do You mean that I should set RT_srgb as my monitor profile? Is it the only way? I have color profile that is working well for me and I don’t want to change this only because of RT…

Moreover, lightroom doesn’t have this problem, colors are identical in editor and then in photo viewer. If Lightroom works that way, why RT cant?

Also, are You sure windows photo viewer is not color managed? I am quite sure it is…

No, don’t change your monitor profile. On my windows 7 computer at work, I installed the RT_sRBG profile to my system and it made that profile available to other applications on that system, like Photoshop. I did this by double clicking the profile and clicking yes to install it, but I’m not sure how that works on Windows 10.

Sorry my windows knowledge is a bit rusty, I’ve been on Linux for the last decade plus. I’m sure someone with more complete knowledge will be along shortly if installing the profile to the system does not help.

You may need to install the RT image profile onto the system. I run Linux too so may differ from win but some of my applications are not colour managed so I install my monitor profile system wide rather than to specific applications. That way everything is using the same monitor calibration. 'Cause I use an XYZ LUT I for instance have to turn colour management off in Firefox as it doesn’t handle it correctly.

Mentioned in case something odd is happening with your monitor profile. For instance I have never done anything to RT to take care of this and it just works. I suspect you need to install it system wide. However it could be that you do need to make the RT profile available to windows. However the profiles should be mapable from one to another.

The reason I ask is that when I use the GIMP on an image it tells me that it includes the RT profile and asks if I want to keep it. If I don’t it gets converted to a standard sRGB profile and afterwards I would be very hard pushed to tell the difference.

By the way for editing in RT your working profile should be ProPhoto. NOT sRGB. Just as LightRoom uses something that from memory goes by some girls name rather than the standard that was meant to be ProPhoto but that’s typical Adobe.

John

Looking at this again, I noticed that the Windows Photo Viewer border is orange, that will change the way you perceive the color; perhaps not to the degree of difference I still see, but setting it to a neutral gray or black might be helpful.

Sorry, not meaning to hijack the OP’s thread, but how do you set a system-wide profile (like RT_sRGB) in Linux? I know how to set the display profile in ‘Color’, but a system-wide profile?

Cheers.

I’d imagine you’d want something like GNOME Color Manager, which interacts with colord, the systemd unit for managing color.

colord is not part of systemd but a regular stand alone daemon!

I’m predicting the future :wink:

If your system is colour managed there is no need to worry about RT srgb. It will be mapped to the display according to what’s in it. That is the entire idea of having the profile in the image. It means that what ever the profile is it will be displayed correctly. Adobe RGB, sRGB, there are several and even ProPhoto etc. The general rule is no profile then assume sRGB.

This page shows the principle well in a colour managed browser. As I explained my browser isn’t colour managed so the image and profile is just passed to the system and it handles it.

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/color-spaces-page2

There are 2 rows to run the cursor over. Top row is various types of image less their profile so each one will look different as the cursor moves along. The 2nd row is the same images with their profile so if colour management is present all will look the same.

This is why I think that the OP’s problem is RT’s access to the systems colour management via the monitor calibration. Some packages have it built in. I’ve been running Linux for over 20 years and the original aim on it seems to have been to have monitor calibration and colour management available at the system level. It makes sense because that even ensures that the desktop comes up with calibrated colours. Any image viewing application irrespective of it having it’s own colour management built in will be the same. If the monitor hasn’t been calibrated and there is colour management then the same colours still come up in all. If no monitor calibration what ever colours the monitor happens to display will show.

It sounds a bit confusing but there are 2 aspects to colour management. One is the display aspect and the other is the profiles included in the image. The profiles in the image are there to allow all types to display on a system what ever type it is. The colour management handles the conversion. The monitor profile is something else - it corrects the displays colours. If that isn’t there the basic colour management of various image formats still functions but colours will be just the same as the display happens to show.

One odd aspect of windows may be that it isn’t colour managed at a system level. This might explain all of the past shouting about people using colour managed browsers. I doubt it but this might be the case. If so the windows version of RT must include it in itself. In that case there will be a slot for pointing it at a monitor profile. If not it needs installing system wide and the calibrator should hopefully offer to do that for the user. The one I use does. It’s here and works with the vast majority of calibrators. It also does a far more thorough job.

There is also a possibilty of course that RT for some reason isn’t able to use the monitor profile. Might be due to a windows update or etc. More likely is that the monitor profile isn’t installed in a fashion which it can use.

John

tl;dr

Not a bug. You don’t need to add RT_sRGB to Windows. Color management in your operating system and RawTherapee is not set up correctly. Your image viewer needs to be “color-aware”, i.e. capable of using the embedded image profile, the monitor profile and the relevant rendering intents. Both RT and your image viewer need to:

1. Use the same monitor color profile,
  2. Use the same rendering intent.
    And the calibration curves for the chosen monitor profile need to be loaded into the video card gamma table.

ti;dr may have a point - the image viewer may not be colour managed or not using the screen calibration.

In either case installing it all system wide should cure the problem. It does on Linux anyway so would have thought Win would be the same. There are plenty of Win RT users so I doubt if that is the problem.

One thing for sure if things are colour managed there is no need to worry about RT sRGB or any other image profile. That is what colour management is for - to sort that out.

John

Hello. Thank You all for answers.

I am also a linux guy :wink: but I also have windows on my laptop. I have tried RT today on my Desktop Linux and the same problem exists (less visible than on windows).
When I cover the orange bottom with my hand, color difference is still visible.
I think I can install RT_sRGB profile on my Windows (Linux too?), but I see potential problems here. I am not developing photos only for vieving them on my own computer. I want to publish them on the web, print them. I assume, that most people and most labs don’t have RT_sRGB profile. I have DXO and Lightroom on Windows and both work without problems, the photo looks exactly the same when edited and after export.

@Morgan_Hardwood That is the behaviour I expected, but why it is not working that way? Afaik Windows Viewer is color managed, it has no problems with LR or DXO photos. How can I check if RT and viewer use the same monitod profile and rendering intent?

@dr_Fell the first thing to check is that you’re using tools whose preview can be trusted to look 100% like the saved image. In order to establish that, please upload the raw file and the PP3 (using https://filebin.net/ ), or try to reproduce the problem using any image (doesn’t have to be raw) and the “Neutral” profile.

On Linux, one of the few color managed viewing applications is geeqie; are there any others in the same class?

Seems that problem is solved. When I set working profile to prophoto, output profile to RT_sRGB (“sRGB Color Space Profile” seem to give identical results), and set the profile under the edited photo preview to system default (generic PnP monitor) - everything seems to work fine. I am not sure why and when I messed up those settings. Also it seems that after some windows upgrade my screen profile was changed back to default and that misled me a bit.

@paperdigits I have been using geeqie for years, and before geeqie I have been using gqview (discontinued now). Both are perfect for me. Have You tried digikam? It is a lot more than just a viewer. I didn’t check if it’s color managed, but I would be very surprised if it’s not.

thank You all for Your patience :slight_smile:

All Geeqie releases have somewhat broken color management because they do not support manually selecting the rendering intent. It is hard-coded to use the “perceptual” intent if the profile supports it, which will make all images viewed in it with color management enabled look bad. You will not experience this if you use a monitor profile which does not support intents, such as plain LUT with only “relative colorimetric” or a matrix type profile. This has been fixed in Geeqie master but there has not been a new release yet.

digiKam is color-managed and does support rendering intents, but stupidly prevents you from setting the monitor profile manually. I reported this problem upstream a long time ago, they did not think it is a problem… :expressionless:

1 Like

The problem with geeqie is that if you’re after anything else but perceptual as rendering intent, you’re pretty much screwed. For some reason geeqie has locked this down.

A better bet for Linux is XNView, IMHO.

On Linux why not use DispCal and when monitor calibration is finished tell it to install system wide.

This will install both colour management and the display profile. That way everything will be colour managed even if the package isn’t. This also includes various intents.

I think it will also do the same thing on Win and Mac. Not sure check it’s site.

Installing RT_sRGB wont do anything.

John