Difficult orange flower

another variation.

Difficult orange flower_5D3_0104_01.CR2.xmp (12.9 KB)

4 Likes

ART

That’s a nice crop + edit! Bit soft for my taste, but that’s all it is: My taste :wink:

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (7.4 KB)

Nice flower pic!
Here is my version using darktable.

3 Likes

Thanks to the comments @hanatos, I have worked on the editing until I got this:
Thanks for the opportunity

Cheers

With fresh eyes I see my original result looked awful.

After a long break, I am exploring the image formation topic again. I no longer care about about any kind of theoretical perfection, I have accepted I don’t know how anything works, and have admitted defeat to per-channel curves and am now embarcing them.

Currently experimenting with a hybrid approach: geometric compression (like in my earlier work) as a first step (leaving headroom, say 5x above 1.0), and then using per-channel compression as a finishing step, compressing it down to the final 0.0-1.0 range. This fills out the gamut nicely and I’ve found the results looks better than either approach used separately.

I’m really throwing everything I know at it.

I’ve been staring at images a lot, so I can’t be certain, but I think it looks… ok?

5 Likes

My attempt, using latest darktable 4.5.0~git1108.ff5095cc-1+10846.1

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

Very interesting image. Could spend days playing - and probably will !
My attempt (at this point-in-time) with DT4.4.2

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (37.0 KB)

2 Likes

Pretty difficult indeed! I find it especially hard to get a nice contrast without an immense amount of posterization in the petals (and posterization of course kills contrast).

I decided to back off the contrast a bit from the initial one that I’d liked and add an instance of diffuse or sharpen (local contrast preset) after sigmoid to gain a bit of additional contrast.

(edit: added better quality jpeg since original one had some posterization from jpeg compression)

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (16.8 KB)
(darktable master)

2 Likes

That sounds interesting! I should read back through this thread, but what software are you working with? Something completely scratch-built or modified rawtherapee/darktable/G’Mic…?

Edit:
I thought this would be an interesting one to try the new sigmoid functionality in darktable (running 4.5+1093). I haven’t fully got my head around it yet, but seems to work well even in my hands. :smile:

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (7.5 KB)

I think yours is better!

3 Likes

My version…

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (19.2 KB)

2 Likes

That is excellent, except for the upper stem being completely blue.

1 Like

VERY tricky!

5D3_0104_01.CR2.xmp (18.1 KB)

3 Likes

just to refresh everyone’s eyes so you can better tell the shades of red/orange apart:

3 Likes

Very cool to see all the slighty different edits…

5D3_0104_01.CR2.xmp (16.3 KB)

4 Likes

I think my edit from Sept. 2021 is ugly:

So I tried again (to fail better).

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (9.4 KB)

2 Likes

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (12.6 KB)

1 Like

Wow, this was a tough one.
5D3_0104.CR2.pp3 (18.1 KB)

2 Likes

5D3_0104.CR2.xmp (10.8 KB)

While how a capture opened and edited with various apps looks is interesting, I like to look at an original image converted by RawDigger which allows no editing at all:

Looks pretty good to me …

1 Like