Diffuse module is now in the master.....

Thanks, looking forward to that one too!
By the way, I tried the inpaint highlights preset, but in the best of cases I get some coloured noise that does not seem to improve anything.
I read that the method is there to “remove the specularity in the image with specular objects”.
without diffuse module:

with diffuse module:

I’m not sure I’m using it correctly, do you have an example ?

You need to add enough iterations so that noise disappears. Noise is how reconstruction is initialized, it’s like adding random particles and then diffusion will order them to follow gradients and propagate textures. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work good for large areas to reconstruct and the examples provided in the litterature seem to use the algo in its sweet spot (256×256 px images with missing parts of a few pixels width).

Its mostly designed to propagate images inside the borders:

2 Likes

Ok, the effect is much better now, especially with the light in the side mirror.

The effect shown here looks pretty nice – any chance for a preset (or a screenshot of the module settings)? I’ve been trying to recreate this for a while now but didn’t yet succeed.

Argh, it’s complicated because it needs to remove (in the code) the fence preventing moving the borders/framing module before colorout in the pipe. Once this is done, move borders right after filmic, diffuse after border, then it’s mostly the “inpaint highlights” preset, with iterations > 10 and a mask on the border to discard the image content.

1 Like

Thanks! The fences were easy to remove. I have a hard time getting that much of the image to spill into the borders, though, starting from inpaint highlights preset and reducing the luminance threshold to zero.

Motion blur is now usable on CPU and GPU (not merged yet) :

8 Likes

And… here I was thinking I was happy with stable 3.6. Haha.
I think I’ll be on development versions from now on :stuck_out_tongue: Not a bad thing, especially if I want to start actually giving back.

I know you are making the tools you see for your photography, but, again, thank you for sharing with the rest of us!

Guess, once I get use “down”, I can chuckle at spending so much money on f1.2 lenses and obscure lenses. With darktable in general, unless you are a sports photographer who is under a time crunch, it really changes the decision making matrix for what cameras lenses we are look at…

I wondered when I felt the moment of photography becoming more like 3d artwork, as the look has been becoming sort of intertwined. I know we, as darktable users, have had a crazy amount of control over the quality and look of subject isolation from foreground, but, emotionally, this is just a interesting moment.

Can’t wait to see what everyone does with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second your sentimemts. We are very lucky to benefit from the work and collective expertise of the dev group. @anon41087856 or others, I will do some research but any examples or use cases that anyone could share would be appreciated…This type of tool lokely has both technical and artistic applications Thanks again

2 Likes

Before/After motion + lens blur :

Idem but © Jonathan Friedman :

6 Likes

Thanks

This is really cool. I’m going to steal this shamelessly :slight_smile:

You can, the code is stupid simple, I invented nothing here (maybe just the GUI). However, it’s super slow. Someone (probably me) needs to use FFT convolution to make larger blurs bearable, runtime-wise.

1 Like

There is also the diffuse & sharpen module that you may want to reuse. The darktable GUI shows all parameters, but by factoring them, you may be able to do nice deblur, hazing and local contrast stuff in scene-referred. Plus @flannelhead and Ralph Brown are currently optimizing it, so runtimes should be ok soon.

1 Like

I’ll definitely take a look, thanks!

I was just about to ask whether the blurs module could be used to fix motion blur in addition to introducing it (similarly to how the other recent module, diffusion, can be used both to soften and to sharpen), but then found the answer (no) on GitHub (add module : scene-referred blurs by aurelienpierre · Pull Request #9521 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub).

Thanks for the work to the whole team!
(edit: fixing the 1st sentence that was quite garbled after I re-arranged it when writing the post)

Unbelievable! You outdo yourself again. :+1:

Finally a scene-referred blur!

I wonder if you can extend it so that lowpass module can be replaced?

I’m hacking in here because I immediately see - besides actual function - enormous potential for creative application especially in combination with different blend modes.

For this - if that is feasible - additional option for the contrast and saturation/grayscale would be of great use.

As a demonstration of what I mean, just a couple of examples with lowpass module, which is unfortunately obsolete as it does not fit into scene-reffered approach.

This is how the photo looks without lowpass:

Soft contrast bloom (multiply blend mode):

Soften (geometric mean blend mode):

Contrast enhancement (subtract blend mode):

color grading (RGB red channel blend mode):

color grading (RGB blue channel blend mode):

color grading pastel (RGB blue channel blend mode):

color grading yellow (RGB blue channel blend mode):

The list can be continued if you play more with blur radius, contrast and saturation.

Such a module could become one of the most powerful tools for creative use, along with color balance rgb, and color calibration modules.

Regardless of whether this is feasible, thank you for always coming up with new surprises in terms of functionality enhancement of darktable!

12 Likes

I think the general mask API (using the white point) should be enough though. In scene-referred, many display witchcraft can be achieved by simple arithmetic operators. Just not the saturation thingies, because that’s not physical.

3 Likes

I did not understand that.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification here.

And before I get too far off topic here, what I was actually thinking of is something like “gray” tab in the color calibration module, where you can combine color channels to get grayscale output. This would give you even more control over the final result when combined with blend modes.

Here are two examples with “gray” tab in color calibration module combined with multiply blend mode:

Red channel:

Blue channel:

Original:

Sorry, it’s called blend fulcrum.

1 Like