Diffuse module is now in the master.....

@s7habo , thanks for the examples. Re. your rose example using low pass blend mode RGB blue channel for a pastel look, I don’t seem to have those 3 choices, instead Lab options. (But I do have the RGBs if I use the Exposure module). Also I don’t have fulcrum in low pass.

I think you need certain blend modes (RGB scene) to get the fulcrum I don’t always see it but I think it scene referred only and you can change the blend modes you see from default with the little hamburger icon in the masking section to show the various groups of blend modes.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/darkroom/masking-and-blending/blend-modes/

@priort , you have a capacity for confusing me! I have an email from you at 03:52 saying “I think you need parametric mask set to get the fulcrum and you can’t change the blend modes you see from default with the little hamburger icon in the masking section”

Agreed, the hamburger is no help (assuming by hamburger you mean the little circle half black and half white).

Did you experiment before posting?

No the hamburger is the three lines to the right in the mask bar it changes the blend modes from lab to rgb scene to rgb display if the module supports those…exposure for example has only the rgb modes .

Ok thanks, now I get it. It seems I was looking at the condiments instead of the burger.

4 Likes

I carefully installed 3.7.0 per the github directions and I have it running but I am not finding the diffuse module. I checked with this:

darktable -d diffuse
darktable: error while loading shared libraries: libOpenEXR-3_0.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Then I checked and I have OpenEXR 3.0.5-2 installed. Darktable is using openCL so I’m not sure how to proceed from this point.

Check the version number at the top left of the darktable window to make sure you are picking up the right binary (it should be 3.7.0+some_garbage). To find the diffuse module, you may need to type it into the search bar under the module groups. The module is called diffuse or sharpen.

The command darktable -d diffuse is wrong, diffuse is not a valid argument for the -d option.

The error concerning libOpenEXR may mean that you are picking up a different version of darktable, which was linked against an older verision of the OpenEXR library.

It’s version 3.7.0 withour any additional version numbers. It’s straight from:
git clone --recurse-submodules --depth 1 https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git

Is there another location that represents the “master” version?

Version 3.7.0 represents the start of the 3.7.0 development cycle (so it’s basically identical to 3.6.0). When did you do that git clone? What output do you get if you run git log?

The command git clone --recurse-submodules --depth 1 https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git seems to work fine to me.

there is packages for various distributions for 3.7.x
Just in case

Here’s the git log:
git log
commit f9d2231a7f543700678c0d0ad9a4843986da6d96 (HEAD, tag: release-3.7.0)
Author: Pascal Obry pascal@obry.net
Date: Wed Jun 23 16:59:07 2021 +0200

RELEASE_NOTES: update dev stats.

commit 6d95e80b24874d5d81e07b4d8509d90afeeb2259
Author: Pascal Obry pascal@obry.net
Date: Wed Jun 23 16:41:47 2021 +0200

AUTHORS: update for upcoming release.

commit 6262ee2b238aa1d1eb21ded1c36b5f1c99caff66
Author: Victor Forsiuk vvforce@gmail.com
Date: Wed Jun 23 17:42:54 2021 +0300

Check if Sony Exif tag for focus distance has valid information (#9319)

commit 514714fc2e8ac4337325e16010ed8a9638056495
Author: Nicolas Auffray nicolas.auffray@zaclys.net
Date: Wed Jun 23 14:55:57 2021 +0200

This did work fine and I have 3.7.0 working but it doesn’t have the diffuse module.

Which package (deb, ubuntu, opensuise etc.) would work best with Manjare/Arch linux?

I don’t know what you’ve done here but this looks like you’ve checked out the release-3.7.0 tag, where you should just checkout master. At the risk of repeating myself, version 3.7.0 is identical to version 3.6.0 and so does not contain diffuse. The current development version is 3.7.0+485, which means it has 485 additional changes on top of version 3.7.0 (some of which are the diffuse module).

If you’re on Manjaro/ArchLinux and you want to track the development version you would probably be best by installing the darktable-git package from the AUR.

thanks so much for the pointer about the checkout. I incorrectly assumed that the highest number was the master. I scrolled up on the list and saw the master and did the git checkout on that and it worked perfect. Now I can spent the remainder of the weekend exploring diffuse. Thanks again. I’ll pay it forward someday for someone.

1 Like

Same here. 3 or 5 iterations may work, anything more is just endless calculation …
What would be a good “minimum requirement” to have this working in a reasonable time?

CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-3570 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 27280 
  Speed: 1605 MHz min/max: 1600/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1920 2: 1940 
  3: 1991 4: 2182 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics 
  vendor: ASUSTeK P8H77-I driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop v: 4.2 Mesa 18.3.6 
  direct render: Yes 

I also have a Nvidia 1050 but openCL is just crashing every time the machine is waking up from suspend-to-ram :frowning:

Btw: debian Buster

It really needs OpenCL to run in any reasonable speed. There are some new “fast” presets in latest master (that use just one iteration) which might work better without OpenCL.

1 Like

ok, thanks. So I’ll have to see if I can find a mainboard with some UEFI that’s not faulty (I have two of those that are) so I can get that openCL working without those crashes.
(and suspend-to-ram is welcomed here in Germany as we have world’s highest electricity prices).

This is what I was able to get out of this photo with diffuse/sharpen. The lens was foggy (it was cold outside the conservatory).

36 Likes

Good example of its power: must make @anon41087856 a happy person. :medal_sports:

1 Like

It does, thanks

2 Likes