Diffuse or sharpen position in pixelpipe

I think I read some time ago what is the recommended place in pixelpipe for the diffuse or sharpen module depending on the purpose (sharpen, deblur, local contrast, …), but now I cannot find it. I don’t even remember was it here or in github or have I only seen dreams :).

Was it in the draft documentation?

After a couple more months of testing, it seems that the best place is after color calibration, aka where the pipeline is fully white-balanced. It seems to prevent some fringing.

1 Like

In your original PR you mention

Deblur. For this, the module is put right after exposure.

In the current documentation it says

• recover the original image from sensors with an anti-aliasing filter or mitigate the blur created by most demosaicing algorithms (use the sharpen sensor demosaicing preset and move the module before the input color profile module in the pipeline),

So, based on your experimentation, there is no need to move the module in the pixelpipe based on its purpose? In the current master the default position seems to be before color calibration.

After color calibration seems to yield the best results overall. Just before may be enough in most cases, although less robust in general.

1 Like

So should we change the default order?

Yes.

1 Like