recover ooc jpeg detail/sharpness from raw with darktable

But wait, the same page of the manual also says that:

"Diffusion can be removed in order to:

• recover the original image from sensors with an anti-aliasing filter or mitigate the blur created by most demosaicing algorithms (use the sharpen sensor demosaicing preset and move the module before the input color profile module in the pipeline)."

This seems to imply that sensor and demosaic correction should happen first, since the input color profile happens fairly early. Is this a contradiction, or am I missing something?

Going from memory but I think only color calibration is by default between input and diffuse so moving it before input is not a massive change in the pipeline wrt the other modules just the interaction of diffuse on the data before it gets to the input profile…

I think…

I understand that it can be a very useful module, but for tweaking a few colors I found parametric masks w/ color balance rgb a reasonable substitute (if a bit more tedious to set up, because of the mask, but also more control).

Absolutely! I will also recommend the method you described.

I only use the color look up table very sparingly when I want to quickly change one or a few specific colors. In most cases only darken or lighten. It simply saves a lot of time.

The disadvantage is that you can create artifacts very quickly and the module is not suitable for scene-reffered workflow.

But I hope that there will be a scene-reffered version in the future.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed in your tutorials that you often lighten a lens-shaped region in the middle to focus the eye. Neat trick, I have started using it.

I wish there was a picker-like tool that would set up a parametric mask in JzCzHz at the same time based on a region, with some kind of fall-off. This would help me with the “tweak single color, more or less” workflow.

See:

and perhaps

2 Likes

This is actually already possible with the parametric mask if you use the colour selector for the colour range:

picker1

Sure, but I need to do this for Jz, Cz, and Hz separately. Not big deal though, sometimes just one is enough to select a feature in the image.

1 Like

What I miss - and this is the strength of color look up table - is selection of multiple ranges within a certain channel, here for example hue:

picker4

You can compensate for this by using several instances of a module, but it is more time-consuming.

3 Likes

Yes, I also miss it:

Please share your thoughts in the issue comments, maybe it would help the issue get some traction.

2 Likes

IMG_1946.CR2.xmp (9.7 KB)

1 Like

So this and/or a reworked color zones ??

There is a nice tool in Picture WIndow Pro 8.

Its a cube. You can select and mark colors to be left alone as you edit others but more over you can select multiple colors and just drag them in the 3-D cube. The initial select places a black dot or white dot I cant recall and then as you drag it draws a small directional line and then the dot is inverted to show its modified…I don’t think there is a limit on the number of points . You can even select and drag a point to neutral for a color cast… I think its cool…I like the split opacity slider too. Its interesting that you can apply the same affect to the masked and unmasked area if you like just to a lesser degree of course the default is 0 and 100 percent.

Bit off topic again I guess…

I’m late in the game , my playraw using darktable 3.8

IMG_1946.CR2.xmp (10.2 KB)

7 Likes

At the risk of committing heresy, I like to use Color Zones towards the end of my edit sessions. I understand that you can get weird results if pushed too hard, but I find it a lot easier to use over parametric masks if I just want to tweak a certain color.

I think my biggest use for it is with the autopicker…I find it is nice for quick desaturations…esp on skin. If the picture looks mostly right but the skin has a cast I have often used shift clicking to auto desaturate…I must admit now I try the hue rotations in RBG CB for this first but I have resorted to it…esp say for old jpg snap with bad saturation…

I also have few presets to tweak foliage. I find that trees and plants often come out with green colors that I don’t recall being accurate or to my liking…

Too many good programs out there. Started out with filmulator, film area max, drama 40. Export as tiff, then some curve adjustment, saturation and contrast in rawstudio, export as tiff and rounding off with lens deblur medium and sharpen demosaicing (AAfilter) in darktable.

1 Like

I think it is one of the modules that should be ported to scene referred — there is no intrinsic reason it wasn’t (I think), it just hasn’t happened yet.

2 Likes

Trying to match the reference JPEG as close as possible (minus the red shift in the hair):

IMG_1946.CR2.xmp (11,6 Ko)

It’s only D&S with masking.

2 Likes

Thanks. Which preset (if any) is this close to? [Still learning my way around D&S].

Deblur hard, radius = 12 px, iterations = 64. But it’s in the XMP anyway.

1 Like