Digby, Nova Scotia Harbor

Please don’t forget to explicitly state the license you want to release your image with! A common license used here includes something like below:

IMG_0384.CR2 (23.6 MB)
IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (14.7 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
This was taken from a cafe while we were eating lunch. I would be interested to see how others would process this either as color or B/W image.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I still can not get my files and photo together with just one attempt. Hopefully this will show up in the comments section.

1 Like

After posting I see where my mask did not extend far enough to the left so some of the cargo containers did not get included in my mask. I needed to have looked more closely at the photo before posting.

1 Like

I cropped the shot to fit a 16:9 screen. I liked the colors in the boats so I did not desaturate the image. I decided to make the sky look stormy and I brought out the blue color of the water. Thanks for sharing the image.

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (26.8 KB)

4 Likes

Nice view!
I went with color as I really liked the different hues on the boats.

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (22.1 KB)
The only thing I would like to change is to include the top of the cumulus cloud. Especially after leveling the image, it’s a bit ‘cut off’. Minor point!

Now I did a BW version too. I got into a slight tangle with the masked modules I used for the sky - I don’t suggest anyone use my edit as an example :wink:

IMG_0384_01.CR2.xmp (28.9 KB)

4 Likes

My version…

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (28.4 KB)

6 Likes

nice view, thanks for sharing!

Here my try in RT5.9-dev:

IMG_0384.CR2.jpg.out.pp3 (14,5 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (10.9 KB)

My version.

2 Likes

My (not special) version in Darktable 4.2.0.

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (24.9 KB)

License: CC0.

With ART 1.18.1

IMG_0384.CR2.arp (11.3 KB)

1 Like

Here’s my version using ART 1.18.1 and Affinity Photo 2

IMG_0384.CR2.arp (38.7 KB)

Edits, if interested…

In ART

• Rotation of less than a degree to straighten to far shore

• Crop; I like the wide view and tried 16:9, etc., but couldn’t find a crop that totally worked for me. The “hole” between the two groups of boats kinda got in the way of a square crop as well. This ratio (about 2:1, more or less) seems to work to my eye

• Some Highlight compression to tame some specular highlights

• Bumped L*a*b* chromaticity and contrast to give a bit of pop

• Dropped exposure by -0.4 stop to bring highlights under control after other edits (since Log Tone Mapping highlight compression was firewalled already)

• Tweaked white balance to warm it up just slightly

• Did some local edits in color / tone correction and local contrast to bring out the clouds in general and warm up their highlights,as well as very slightly bump the boat colors; I really like ART’s brush mask in combination with other types!

• Added a subtle vignette to center attention on the boats and better frame the image (since the edges are very midtone)

• Turned on the default level of RL Deconvolution sharpening

In Affinity Photo

• Applied a tiny bit of luminance noise reduction (6%); That could’ve easily been done in ART as well, I just forgot. :slight_smile:

• Hid a few minor details with the inpainting brush, such as dark spots in the water and one small bird. Ideally I’d like to have left it there but it was too small and kinda looked like a spot instead of a bird, so it went away.

• Exported at 2048 pixels wide, my standard “social media” size.

Interesting view and fun edit!

4 Likes

Beautiful photo! My attempt with dt 4.2. I hope I didn’t mess it up too badly.

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (7.1 KB)

1 Like

I want to thank everyone that took time to ‘play’ with this photo. I have learned that every one sees it a little different from the others but that does not necessarily make it wrong. I am still learning and even though I may not ‘play’ on every photo I try to look and study from all the other ones posted on this site.
Thank you.

2 Likes

I decided to have another go as I felt my first post looked a little dull. This time I used sigmoid, which was very easy to use on this image. I still chose to make the sky dramatic and stormy looking, but this time used rgb curves to achieve the effect. DT provides many options to achieve similar outcomes and that is one of its strengths.

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (13.8 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for posting!

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (10.9 KB)

1 Like

Is there any way to make the water at bottom of picture an aqua green color?

YES. I used the color balance module with a drawn and parametric mask to limit the effect to the water in the foreground. It obviously is overcooked in my image here, but I want to show that it could be done. Apply my xmp file and take a look at the what I did in the module. How strong and what color is up to you.

IMG_0384.CR2.xmp (18.5 KB)

2 Likes

OK, you have thrown me a new twist. I copied your .xmp file into the same location as my .xmp file with the same name but. Your .xmp file has “(2)” added to it. When I opened the .CR2 file in darkroom it used my .xmp file.
Question, how do I get darktable to open your .xmp file rather than my own.

In the lighttable view, open the history module on the right hand side.
Set mode to ‘overwrite’ , then click “load sidecar file”. Voila! (edit - I forgot to say to select the file you want in the window that opens… but I think you got it!)
You might want to duplicate the image in darktable first so you don’t lose your edit.
Duplication can be done in the “selected image” module above the last one.

1 Like

That was relatively easy even for me. As you probably have figured out by now I am not a geek on a computer. I will look at your .xmp file on the photo and see how you did it.

2 Likes