digiFilm™ Camera by YASHICA

Already backed!

The price is good, and the digifilm got me curious. What do you think?

I think digifilm is a dead horse. The body doesn’t matter, you can put old lenses on new digital cameras.

I believe a company bought rights to the Yashica name, so this isn’t Yashica.

Also I can’t back kick starter hardware anymore, too much disappointment.

1 Like

It’s a very simple camera with a pretty body. The digFilm concept is a little silly in my view .

When I saw HK$ on the Kickstarter I knew this to be true. Also see Yashica - Wikipedia.

True! I started my digital era with a Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T31) and I bought “a few” adapters to make Old Manual Lens XXX work with my Canon body. When I switched into the Fuji X-trans world, all I had to do was to buy one additional adapter (Canon → Fuji X), and my entire manual lens world was open to me :slight_smile:

That is why I can put a semi-antique Industar-61K/Z 2.8/50mm lens onto my X-T1 camera body, or a Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50, or a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/135mm or… or… or…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

While they did not exactly explain the digifilm concept, I think this is just another compact camera with a really small sensor. The aperture of 2.8 does not really help for shallow depth of field with such a small sensor (crop factor ~6), because the real focal length will be very small (about 6 mm). You will reach hyperfocal distance at < 2.5 m.

What really would be an innovative new camera would be an analog 35 mm compact film camera that makes use of modern autofocus and light metering technologies and that stores exif data either to an SD card or as 2D bar code inbetween the sprocket holes similar to the technologies used to store audio information on analog film movies (see Sound-on-film - Wikipedia). Reasonable specs: 35 mm, f/2.0 to f/32, GPS (for exif but full tracking possible).

Not saying that it’s going to be a disappointment, but to me it’s telling that they don’t show a single sample photo taken with the camera. Do they even have a working prototype, or is that just a a prop and all the images shown in the video are post-processed on a computer? Because that’s what it’s going to be: Instagram filters baked into the firmware.

Well, the video and description of the project appears vague and insubstantial. As an outsider, I cannot grasp what they are going for, except “I have this idea…”.