digiKam 5.6.0 is released

Following the 5th release 5.5.0 published in March 2017, the digiKam team is proud to announce the new release 5.6.0 of digiKam Software Collection. With this version the HTML gallery and the video slideshow tools are back, database shrinking (e.g. purging stale thumbnails) is also supported on MySQL, grouping items feature has been improved, the support for custom sidecars type-mime have been added, the geolocation bookmarks introduce fixes to be fully functional with bundles, the support for custom sidecars, and of course a lots of bug has been fixed.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2017-06-21-5.6.0-release-announcement/
7 Likes

Congratulations on the new release digiKam team! :confetti_ball:

Congrats on another release!

Congrats for the new release ! And the G summer of code subjects are really interesting ! Can’t wait end of the year… :smiley:

Thanks for continuing to make this program better and better with every release! One thing that annoyed me from the beginning is the horrible color scheme for the popups on Windows with no way to change it. It basically renders it unusable. Will this ever be fixed?

1 Like

I believe that tooltip is controlled by the QT5 theme.

Can you try and change your system theme to something dark? Or else figure out how to set the QT theme on windows.

I really tried all I could already since earlier versions. It was also reported as a bug but it has been declared an OS problem and closed. I have spent lots of time googling how to change the QT theme on Windows already, can’t find anything useful.
I think this feature should be useable out of the box after digiKam is installed, but it’s just broken. I’m not talking about preference of colors here, I couldn’t care less, but light grey font on cream background?? It’s just not humanly readable.
And as I got from other users posts, this is the default on Linux as well, see here, this guy reported the same issue on Mint. Unreadable tooltips in Digikam - Linux Mint Forums
But of course under Linux there’s a way to change it, on Windows not. I’m sure if the default is changed somehow, it’s fixed in Windows as well.

I just turned them off…

Hello,

I miss the point, to change Mail-Program. digikam only offers “Standard” and tries to open kmailservice, but I’m using claws-mail.

How can I fix this?

Usually there is a choice of few mail clients incl. “Default”. I guess your digikam was compiled that way. If you did not compile it yourself you should ask the package / repository maintainer.
Send as email works a bit weird in digikam anyways so I just drag and drop pictures from digikam window to gmail web page now

Hello,

thanks for your answer. I’ve build digikam and also kipi stuff with poudriere for our FreeBSD systems at home. There aren’t any options for changing the behavior sending photos per Mail.

A workaround for me now is copying and reducing size of my photos I want to send and then appending them to claws-mail.

Hope, this useful function comes back soon. With earlier versions of digikam under FreeBSD I’ve no issues to choose claws-mail.

There should be more email options if you build digikam from sources. I suggest you open a file in bugzilla

Try Digikam >> Settings >> Themes. A couple of them have higher contrast, with “ShadeOfGray” working well for me. (Admittedly some are even worse than your screenshot).

2017-08-16 14_23_41-digiKam