digiKam 6.0.0 beta 3 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, following the first beta release published in October, we are proud to announce the third and last beta of digiKam 6.0.0, before the final release planed in February 2019. Last main components updated With the new upcoming 6.0.0 final release, we updated the code and all bundles with last stable versions of Exiv2 0.27 and Libraw 0.19 shared libraries. The first one is a main component of digiKam used to interact with file metadata, like populating database contents, updating item textual information, or handling XMP side-car for read only files.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2018-12-30-6.0.0-beta3_release_announcement/
3 Likes

Oh! THis was so long awaited. Very glad to see the release happen. Digikam Rocks!

3 Likes

Congratulations digiKam team! :confetti_ball:

1 Like

I got an error message about updating my database. It opened the first time, then would open subsequent times. Sorry, I forgot the exact language. I ended up rolling back to 5.9
Winows 10

Thank you for the release!
Is digiKam-6.0.0-beta3-20181228T155604 the official beta3 release? Also, it takes me long time to download it. The speed varies between 50 and 200 KB/sec. Is that just me or that is the limitation of the KDE server?

1 Like

I thought I read 6.0 was supposed to have improved Face detection (speed in scanning and finding faces) etc… One of the reasons I have held on to Picasa for Windows desktop was face detection. Has that improved?

Anyone know if Digicam 6.0 read Picasa’s experimental Face Detection export to XMP?

I tried face detection in digikam 6.0.0 beta3 a couple of days ago and did not notice any improvements.

If you configured Picasa to write the face info into metadata digikam will read it. I did however have problems with portrait oriented pictures years ago when migrated from Picasa / WLPG. The locations of the regions were wrong. At that time there was no solution so I fixed face regions manually.

Also if scanning for faces in digikam please make sure to skip images already scanned (there is a checkbox for that) otherwise you will end up with many images with double face regions on them.

1 Like

I recognzed the same issue…!

Maybe its cool to have an Filter or searchmode for pictures with double face tags (same name/similar name) in the final version or the next beta?!

Greetings from Japan!

Gerome

Not sure. I tried using exiftool to detect these but it did not really work… I just gave up and re-did them manually.
You can’t constantly ask digikam develops to add new features though. Digikam is almost Frankenstein already. I believe such additions to the functionality should be done via plugins written by contributors.

1 Like

There are certainlysome limitation in KDE file mirrors. We don’t have any control on this.