digiKam 7.0.0-beta2 is released

Sat Feb 1, 2020

digiKam 7.0.0-beta2 is released

by digiKam Team

Dear digiKam fans and users,

Just few words to inform the community that 7.0.0-beta2 is out and ready to test one month later the first beta release published at Christmas time.

After a long triaging stage, this new version come with more than 600 bug-fixes since last stable release 6.4.0 and look very promising. Nothing is completed yet, as we plan one beta version before next spring, when we will publish officially the stable version. It still bugs to fix while this beta campain and all help will be welcome from the community to stabilize codes.

Thanks to all users for your support and donations, and to all contributors, students, testers who allowed us to improve this release.

digiKam 7.0.0 source code tarball, Linux 32/64 bits AppImage bundles, MacOS package and Windows 32/64 bits installers can be downloaded from this repository. Don’t forget to not use this beta in production yet and thanks in advance for your feedback in Bugzilla.

Rendez-vous in few weeks for the next stage.

Thanks in advance for your help.


This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2020-02-01-7.0.0-beta2_release_announcement/
5 Likes

Right on!

I tried out the Facial Recognition feature and it is a big big relief from what was there earlier.

That said, there’s still a lot of room for improvement. Consider the below image. All the 3 recommendations made, are incorrect. But in the UI, I have no way to train the system that these are incorrect results.

1 Like

When you hover/click the images the overlay with the editable tag name and buttons to confirm or remove the entire tag should show up.

I have such simple desires. I’m just thrilled to see the Open With sub-menu now shows a list of programs that can open the photo. It used to take mores steps.

Switch application language does not work, Please help me.

切换语言后重启软件就可以了,但备用语言要选英语

Can you add waterfall view(Like Pinterest) to the new digiKam?

I just tried 7.0beta2 on Windows and it doesn’t load the .heic files from my iPhone. :cry:

digiKam Windows won’t import from a phone (via USB cable) but if you download from your iphone via a different service (iTunes, cloud storage, etc.) digiKam will open HEIC files. I have checked that functionality myself on both Windows and Linux

I sync the .heic image using the pCloud app. Anyway, I bought “HEIF and HEVC Media Extensions” from Microsoft Store, which is needed to open them in the standard Photos app, and now DigiKam can open them as well. I assumed it was using a platform independent image library rather than relying on operating system image support.

As far as I know digiKam relies on libheif library for HEIF support. I don’t think there is any connection between Windows Photos app and digiKam. I did not buy that extension and digiKam is still able to open HEIF files.

I love it. Thanks! Also now that you support HEIC is a relief for me with my new phone using this format. It saves a lot of space with same quality.
I supported the version with donations and I ask people to do the same.
Open source is great but we need to support it if we want to keep it alive.

Hi !
At least on my system, the RawTherapee plugin doesn’t launch RT yet.
I tried everything for days without any luck.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414340

When you hover/click the images you can confirm the tag, remove the detected face entirely, or specify another tag. There is no option to decline the suggestion and return the face to unknown. The only way I’ve been able to do so is by clearing all of the unconfirmed suggestions.

I just realized I’m still running 6.3, but the latest version is 6.4. At this point, should I just wait for 7? I’m not sure what kind of timetable dK uses for its releases.

Though that is just a guideline (which they usually stick to pretty well though), which right now is in delay due to Covid.

Anyway why stick with 6.3? If you want it stable, get the latest stable (6.4), if you want a glimpse of what’s to come soon with possible a few more bugs (though there also many fixed) check out the latest beta of 7.

Well, that was kind of my point. If the release of 7 was imminent, I wasn’t going to bother with 6.4. Being that it’s a couple of months away (and possibly longer), I’ll probably go ahead and upgrade. Thank you for the response.