digiKam 7.2.0-rc is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, Just a few words to inform the community that 7.2.0-rc is out and ready to test six month later the 7.2.0 beta1 release. After integrating the student codes working on faces management while this summer, we have stabilized code about the usability and the performances improvements of faces tagging, faces detection, and faces recognition, already presented in July with 7.0.0 release announcement. One very important point introduced with this release is the new Online Release Downloader to help users with stable and pre-release updates, fully automatized, providing a release notes, and with the options to use debug or optimized application versions.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2021-02-08-7.2.0-rc_release_announcement/

Looks good! Especially when high dpi options are switched on.
Works, so far, just fine on my 2 x 27" 4K monitors.

The first error message I got, when trying to set some options:

digiKam could not create the folder to host your database file. Please select a different location.
c:\users\[username]\Documents\digiKam

Even when run as adminstrator, I keep getting this error.
Should I manually create it?

Upon further investigation:
there was a file created named ‘digikam’ in the above directory, but no folder.
When I manually create the subfolder c:\users\[username]\Documents\digiKam after removing the ‘digikam’ file, there are indeed some .db files created in the subfolder ‘digikam’.

Also I see c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\digiKam directory with a ‘cache’ subfolder.
BUT, the ‘digikamrc’ and ‘digikam_systemrc’ files are created in the c:\users\[username]\appdata\local directory. Which is imho 1 level too high…

I was just wondering…
No one to comment? Any remarks?

I’m not sure if any of the digiKam developers frequent this forum. Maybe @paperdigits has any idea?

@rasimo or post to the digikam mailing list.

The path seems weird to me - why should a db be in documents? If that’s a default that maybe should be changed, but I assume that something you configured that way.

So things are working now?

That’s a KDE thing: Their config files usually go directly into the main config directory (what you wrote, or ~/.config on linux). I don’t particularly like that but it doesn’t create any problems, does it?

I’d personally prefer it if user support happened here, the main place frequented by active devs and community is the digiKam user’s mailing list.

Also I can’t really count myself as a digiKam dev anymore - my contributions are so old, they don’t even come up in the current gitlab statistics anymore xD

I find that weird too. But I didn’t configure anything. I just got this message, the first time I started digiKam… So ???

As far as I can see; yes.

Or should these ‘quirks’ be submitted as bugs? E.g.?

When you open the digikamrc file there’s an entry named Internal Database Server Path where you could set it to some other path if desired. To inquire about whether this is indeed the default and why it was chosen, you’d have to ask on the mailing list (or open a bug report, though asking first on the mailing list is probably preferred).

For my own curiosity, could you please answer: