digiKam 7.6.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, After one month of active maintenance and another huge bug triage, the digiKam team is proud to present version 7.6.0 of its open source digital photo manager. See below the list of most important features coming with this release. Bundles packaging improvements ICU support in Linux AppImage Bundle Long time ago, the AppImage packaging suffered from an important lack of International Components for Unicode (ICU) support.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2022-03-05-7.6.0_release_announcement/
6 Likes

Hello team,
Thank you for your great work! I’m really looking forward to this new version :slight_smile:
2 questions:
When I started using Digikam (on Linux Mint), I chose the Flatpak version that was available at the time because I had other flatpaks. Now it seems you’re supporting mostly Appimage. Should I move to AppImage?
If yes, can I transfer my settings from Flatpak to AppImage? I’ve spent quite some time playing with the options and would rather avoid reoing everything (that’s lazy, I know…).

Thanks again for your great work! I’m trying to promote Digikam in my photo club :slight_smile:
Damien

We have always supported AppImage in prior, since a very long time.

Flatpak is supported by FlatHub team, not digiKam team as well.

The application settings must be hosted in your home directory, so the switch between both bundles must be transparent…

1 Like

Fantastic! I just tried that and it works perfectly :slight_smile: Thank you very much!

Are there prerequisites to have JPEG XL supported in Digikam 7.6?
A specific version of Image magick?

I tried it and it didn’t detect a jxl file :frowning:

The “JXL” extension is not available in any image loader plugin. Even ImageMagick v7.6 loader (as I think to have understood that it is this one that bring jxl support)…

The bug report don’t give a lot of inputs: 436533 – JPEG XL support

Take a look here :

The Qt plugin from KDE extension module is available since 3 months (KDE frameworks >= 5.89).
The compilation rules indicate the libjxr dependency (optional) :

For the digiKam bundles the KDE frameworks condition is respected, but we probably forget the first one. This can be fixed easily…

Solid release, as usual. Thanks!
I have a really bad issue though.
Ubuntu 22.04 new, fresh
The snap is the newest version, but it does not open raws with rawtherapee or any other external program.
I tried the flatpak but it does not read external drives.
The appimage does not run.
Anyone knows if the imageapp will ever run on 22.04? Or how to allow the snap to open other (already installed) programs?

This is because the snap is sandboxes.

The flatpak is also sandboxed, but you can modify the sandbox parameters with the flatseal app.