digiKam 7.9.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, After four months of active maintenance and another bug triage, the digiKam team is proud to present version 7.9.0 of its open source digital photo manager. See below the list of most important features coming with this release. Bundles Internal Component Updates As with the previous releases, we take care about upgrading the internal components from the Bundles. Microsoft Windows Installer, Apple macOs Package, and Linux AppImage binaries now hosts:
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2022-12-05-7.9.0_release_announcement/
5 Likes

Awesome news! Canā€™t wait for 8.0.0! Amazing job, guys

According to DK Splash screen, about 1300 bugs has been squashed ā€¦ Since DK 6.xx.
Come on, that is just a silly comparison. I think it would be much more informative to show how many bugs has been fixed from one version to another.

1 Like

What splash screen? Mine doesnā€™t say anything about bugs. But no matter, thereā€™s a link to the bugs fixed in this release in the announcement (first line under ā€œMaintenance and Improvementsā€). That info has been in digiKamā€™s new release announcements for as long as I can remember.

you are correct. there are no splash screen, but if you click on root album DK shows a screen stating that 1300 bug corrected since 6.x.

Ah, I see it now! I almost never use that screen, since I usually have an album selected & only see the thumbnails for the album. It does seem odd to go back to 6.x.x version, I wonder if the text just hasnā€™t been updated in the 7.x.x series?

I love digikam :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it is my main program on Ubuntu.
Thanks for all the job you are doing. :pray:

I can not open it with MacOs Mojave. Is there a solution? 7.8.0. works fine

Thank you for the wonderful program and this release. I want to say about my dream and suggestion to operate with face management like in Picasa. For example (as I understand):

1. group faces with a certain similarity (ex. 90% similarity) and approve or decline face recomendation for some photos at once;
  2. also group unknow faces and ignored;
  3. try to recognize again when I already matched person and donā€™t recommend one more time with the same person;
  4. try to recognize faces in background after each changes when previous job is done;
  5. it doesnā€™t exist in Picasa but it would be perfect if I can create folder or may be create named link between people. At least folder please.

I hope this is correct and you could understand me)).