digiKam 8.3.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, After four months of active maintenance and long bugs triage, the digiKam team is proud to present version 8.3.0 of its open source digital photo manager. This version arrives with the internal RAW decoder Libraw updated to the rolling-release snapshot 2024-02-02. Long time bugs present in older versions have been fixed and we spare a lot of time to contact users to validate changes in pre-release to confirm fixes before deploying the program in production.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2024-03-17-8.3.0_release_announcement/
3 Likes

Hi,
thank you for this release. Automatic tagging is a great feature; how can I generate tags in my language (italian?). It only produce tags in english. Thanks.

Model used with deep-Learning engine only know English words, but we can automatically use online translator to generate keywords in native language. Please fill a wish in bugzilla about this topic.

What is the difference between DigiKam-8.3.0-Qt5-Win64 and digiKam-8.3.0-Win64 repositories?

Maybe the non qt5 is based on qt6?

That’s what I got from the release announcement:
The windows version should be for QT6, the QT5 version is provided as a safeguard in case of issues with the QT6 version.
Also, the QT5 version is (afaik) a cross-compile on a Linux box, the QT6 version is a native windows compile.

But why believe me when you can read the release announcement yourself?

Hmm, this is already in the past, I think. But at least 1 news site used this date anyway

Please, for the next release, don’t autoselect the first image in directory explorer!

Don’t select image. Let the user select the images they want.

Several times I opened a series of photos and the one that was already selected was added to the list, it’s very annoying

In digiKam-8.4.0 there will be an option to disable the initial selection of the first item.